Opiod Equivalency Tables?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDudeMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'll be starting intern year soon and I'm trying to gather some references I know I will be using... I've been looking for opiod equivalency table.

So far I have this, http://endoflife.stanford.edu/M11_pain_control/equivalency_table.html

Anything else that you guys can recommend?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the post. The app got some good reviews.. But it appears dated and was last updated in 2011. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just be cautious with any equivalency tables...they are very rough approximations only, especially with high dose opioids.

I have used the globalrph as my main, but for the iphone, i use this one too:

eOpioid

does cost 4.99, but i like the PCA feature, and the list of available dosages seems like it would help someone who is "starting"...

The key to any opioid conversion charts or equivalency tables is to recognize:
1. Prodrugs such as hydrocodone have highly variable metabolism and may not be effective at all. Conversion to a direct acting drug using conversion charts (such as oxycodone from hydrocodone) may lead to overdose.
2. The blood levels of drugs vary significantly. For morphine, for a given dose in a population, the levels vary by 800%. This makes conversion to another drug particularly difficult.
3. Methadone should not even be in conversion charts given the hepatic enzyme autoinhibition that results in exponential increases in side effects while the pain control effects are linear. Also patients on methadone can OD and die simply by taking Diflucan or OTC Tagamet.