Opioid makers paid millions to advocacy groups: U.S. Senate report

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheLoneWolf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posting for DoctorCommonSense:

It's ok, everybody does it. What about Pfizer and lyrica, or PROP, or those suboxone pimps. Those jokers are the real problem.
So there!

Reactions: 1 user
Why is ASIPP not on this list??

upload_2018-2-12_18-36-43.png

Members don't see this ad :)
Because they are on state medical board - ours for example - and DEA/FBI lists where they belong.

I will ask friends to find out who and how much ASIPP lobbies and post it here.

There's an ASIPP on the state licensing board?

No several of your leadership in this state have been sanctioned by our licensing board.

I looked but didn’t even really see a list of donations. Prob because I’m looking at it on an iPhone 6S... ( I’m hospital employee. CAnt afford the X).

That’s great.

Oh wait, why would an organization dedicated towards procedural medicine need donations from a pill company?

Reactions: 1 user
Who or what are you talking about?? If it's public record just post it.

Post OR membership and leadership - including the past 5yrs - and I’ll post their board investigations. Lax is gonna excommunicate you:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Some ASIPP members practice the shots for opioids model, that's a given.

However, as an organization focused on political advocacy, I've never seen them advocate for greater access to opioids or for more liberal opioid prescribing. Their advocacy typically involves seeking to prevent reimbursement cuts for procedural professional fees or ASC facility fees.

Remember this? National All Schedules Prescription Electronic Reporting Act (NASPER)

This was back in 2005, a good 6-7 years before opioid overprescribing was in the national spotlight.

Some ASIPP members practice the shots for opioids model, that's a given.

However, as an organization focused on political advocacy, I've never seen them advocate for greater access to opioids or for more liberal opioid prescribing. Their advocacy typically involves seeking to prevent reimbursement cuts for procedural professional fees or ASC facility fees.

Remember this? National All Schedules Prescription Electronic Reporting Act (NASPER)

This was back in 2005, a good 6-7 years before opioid overprescribing was in the national spotlight.

Ruan and Couch were members, Ruan a state leader. Deer is a member and former leader. Got a shady, albeit successful pills for procedures practice in your neighborhood? AZ pain physicians, yep ASIPP.

Posting for DoctorCommonSense:

It's ok, everybody does it. What about Pfizer and lyrica, or PROP, or those suboxone pimps. Those jokers are the real problem.
So there!

Except I never said it was "ok".

Just said lets not pretend its not like this in EVERY field of medicine instead of pretending this is some unique problem.

It's been the same crew for the last 5 years...me, Peter, Vlad, and Greg...

Looks like the guilty parties are in the 101N crew.

Now we see why he protests so much.

Suboxone pimps gonna pimp lol

Should David P. Williams, PhD, President of the American Pain Society Hold Senator McCaskill accountable for her office's report??

Board of Directors | APS

David Williams, Ph.D. | Pain Research | Michigan Medicine | University of Michigan

American Pain Society Slams McCaskill Report on Opioids
Megan Brooks

February 15, 2018

The American Pain Society (APS) is "disappointed" with Senator Claire McCaskill's (D-MO) report on financial support for pain organizations from opioid manufacturers, charging that the report contains "simplistic, misleading and insulting conclusions regarding support that APS has received in recent years from the pharmaceutical industry."

"We are also disturbed that no one from the Senator's staff contacted APS to inquire and learn the truth about our policies and procedures governing industry grants. Had they done so, we would have explained in detail the educational and pain research initiatives APS continues to pursue to help resolve the opioid crisis," the APS said in a statement.

The McCaskill report, released February 12, found that five opioid manufacturers made contributions of nearly $9 million to 14 third-party pain advocacy groups between 2012 and 2017. The APS, the Academy of Integrative Pain Management, and the American Academy of Pain Medicine are among the groups mentioned in the report.

The report said initiatives from these groups often "echoed and amplified messages favorable to increased opioid use — and ultimately, the financial interests of opioid manufacturers."

He is attempting a diversionary tactic to justify past “transgression”...

It seems to work with a certain politician’s supporters.

so deny and yell “fake news” - it will make it okay.

It was a big mistake not to create an organization -- call it Senior Wranglers for Pain Control -- with me as president and my parrot as treasurer, and wait for the golden tide to roll in. Probably too late now that Congress is on the case.