Opioids until....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kstarm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a number of patients requesting opioids until whatever next step in care there is. Until I see orthopedics and I get a plan for my knee. Until you complete the ablation and that starts to work or whatever other interventional procedure. I don't prescribe in these situations because previously it seemed like patients always found something else before they want to stop. Do others consider short term opioids while completing procedures/further work-up?

Members don't see this ad.

I do not, although I know a few that do.

And invariably when I see them after they are booted out of the other clinic for misusing their opioids/fixated on opioids, they always tell me "the meds helped but the shots never did but the doc wouldn't just give me the pills".

Members don't see this ad :)
What if your treatment plan doesn't work? I told them it's not indicated whether the treatment works or not.

Reactions: 2 users
Nope. Great way to guarantee that the procedures help, but not quiiite enough for them to stop the meds.
I will in cases of acute severe pain with known or strongly clinically suspected diagnosis (e.g. new compression fracture, disc herniation), with the explanation that it will not be continued chronically.

yup, never successful enough to come off. There has been some literature that shows people on chronic opioids seem to have less successful outcomes and higher complication rates after surgery- something I tell people about

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have a problem giving short opiate Rx for severe acute pain for obvious painful diagnosis that I can't treat in other ways as quickly as I would like, but this is very rare. Usually these people decline the meds anyway.

Definitely do not Rx opiate meds "until relief", "until procedure", or they see someone else.

Recent one that gave me a brief pause was: "doc if I can get a script for norco for a month or two I'll be able to do the PT, hit the gym, and lose the weight I need to get back in shape. And you pain docs always say that dropping pounds can be the best option for long-term pain relief."

A for effort buckaroo

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Recent one that gave me a brief pause was: "doc if I can get a script for norco for a month or two I'll be able to do the PT, hit the gym, and lose the weight I need to get back in shape. And you pain docs always say that dropping pounds can be the best option for long-term pain relief."

A for effort buckaroo
Many have tried that one. I counter with they can just swim which is non weightbearing.

Reactions: 1 users

A for effort buckaroo

Never let them get away with that crap. Every study shows diet change is 4-5x more important for weight reduction than periodic exercise. My back hurts so I can’t exercise so I can’t lose weight so I’m fat so I’m hurting more so if I get opioids I can change is 100% nonsense every time. Excuses.

Reactions: 2 users
Never let them get away with that crap. Every study shows diet change is 4-5x more important for weight reduction than periodic exercise. My back hurts so I can’t exercise so I can’t lose weight so I’m fat so I’m hurting more so if I get opioids I can change is 100% nonsense every time. Excuses.
“Weight is lost in the kitchen, not the gym.”

Reactions: 4 users
"Don't doesn't hurt."

I use that line several times per week.

Reactions: 1 user