opportunities for part-time work in path?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. McDreamy

resident hottie
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many opportunities there are to work part-time in path? I'm curious if there are the same opportunities for limiting your work hours as there are in things like EM.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you're less likely to get benefits of any kind. I know there are pod labs (they're not called pod labs anymore, I guess "In office labs") who will contact with a pathologist to come in a couple of days a week (their volume is probably not high enough to be full time). Reasonable pay for the workload. There are likely some groups who will hire part timers but it would be harder to find and you would probably have to bring something to the table (fellowship in a certain area or willingness to do stuff others don't want to do). Of course, there are also private groups where the actual job is only 4 days a week with tons of vacation. But you are unlikely to get into a group like that just out of fellowship.

ER lends itself to part time work because it is shift-based. Pathology is workload-based.

Actually now there are a TON of part time gigs for pathology.
I was considering do this and starting my biz on the side a while ago and consider a PT gig an optimal way to get experience, cash flow and still have time to start your own lab or other biz.

Actual job offers I have received:
24 weeks/year, full benefits, housing when on call, book allowance, travel +120K/year

36 weeks/year, full benefits, book allowance of 15K+250K/yr

kicker: both the above are partnership track (lol).

Several for 10-12 weeks per year at exotic tourist spots for 1K/day+lodging+travel (no benes, subcontractor status)=12 weeks at 60K, which would be enough to pay loans and live very meagerly at resident level only having worked 3 months in a full year, and no call btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was considering do this and starting my biz on the side a while ago and consider a PT gig an optimal way to get experience, cash flow and still have time to start your own lab or other biz.

24 weeks/year, full benefits, housing when on call, book allowance, travel +120K/year

Several for 10-12 weeks per year at exotic tourist spots for 1K/day+lodging+travel (no benes, subcontractor status)=12 weeks at 60K, which would be enough to pay loans and live very meagerly at resident level only having worked 3 months in a full year, and no call btw.

holy cow,

that is a sweet deal man. work 24 weeks and make 120K? 36 weeks and 250K (4 months of vacation)? Where do you hang out? I'd like to git me some of that once I finish residency.

How could you attain partnership working part time?

Damn... give me their digits.

re: LADocs post, I also am thinking that I would like to have the time to start a business totally unrelated to medicine. I have zero interest in EM unfortunately.

So where do these kinds of jobs hang out? Are they only available to those who have been out in PP world and know all the secret handshakes? Is this a regional thing?