opportunities for working internationally in path?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. McDreamy

resident hottie
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm getting closer and closer to choosing path....and am counting the days until my OBGYN rotation is over! I was wondering what kind of opportunities there are in pathology to work overseas. I've heard that in other specialties you can get jobs in New Zealand or Australia for 6mo to 1 year and that there is actually significant demand. The pay isn't great but hey, you're in one of the most beautiful places in the world. Anyone know about this kind of thing existing in pathology?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe we've had an Australian pathologist post recently, and its my understanding, that the barriers to entry most places for US citizen physicians to practice medicine in most countries is pretty high. I believe that's what our Australian friend said, I know a resident that was looking to relocate to Sweden who discovered significant barriers to entry, and in general, that's what I've heard.

DBH

I'm not sure that there exists a large demand for pathologists in terms of international aid, or working in developing countries (i know this may not be what you are talking about, but this is what i can comment on at the moment). i.e. Doctors Without Borders (MSF) are not dying for pathologists, to my knowledge. however, that does not mean that pathologists cannot help tremendously. If you look at the disparities in healthcare worldwide, perhaps the biggest gap that exists when comparing developing-to-developed countries is the range and quality of diagnostic services. they have extremely limited technological resources, barely mediocre. as a pathologist, i hope to help resource-limited healthcare systems improvise and find cheap, practical ways to arrive at diagnoses (and the flow of information goes both ways, too), with the hope that treatments are available.

I will be doing an inventory of diagnostic capabilities/services throughout Uganda and Kenya next year, and i think i'll find plenty of gaps that can readily be filled with minimal funding. Or at least provide insight into where they can get the most bang for their buck. but, i have to collect the data first. one way or the other, the fact is: the knowledge of a pathologist is just as unique and valuable as that of an anesthesiologist, cardiologist, FP, etc etc. if healthcare is to improve worldwide, it will absolutely require the input of well-trained pathologists. Where to start is the question. My philosophy is that if you don't know what people are using to reach their diagnoses, you'll never know how they are failing, or whether they are failing at all.

anyway, i'm told by some attendings that you can work all over the place as a pathologist. one in particular said he went to work in Fiji for a year . . . go figure:thumbup:

so, i'm not sure if i even grazed the info you were looking for. so take what i wrote for what its worth . . .

cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe we've had an Australian pathologist post recently, and its my understanding, that the barriers to entry most places for US citizen physicians to practice medicine in most countries is pretty high. I believe that's what our Australian friend said, I know a resident that was looking to relocate to Sweden who discovered significant barriers to entry, and in general, that's what I've heard.

DBH

Is this for all US physicians or strictly pathologists? I suppose the process would be the same regardless of specialty, but I could also see there being different demand for each specialty.

So I'm getting closer and closer to choosing path....and am counting the days until my OBGYN rotation is over! I was wondering what kind of opportunities there are in pathology to work overseas. I've heard that in other specialties you can get jobs in New Zealand or Australia for 6mo to 1 year and that there is actually significant demand. The pay isn't great but hey, you're in one of the most beautiful places in the world. Anyone know about this kind of thing existing in pathology?

I just saw two job postings for AP pathologists needed in New Zealand. So I think there is demand in other countries.

IMO job hopping internationally for pathology would be a huge derailment of a serious career. I would suggest another field like derm or rads with the demand to support someone who wants to move in and out of jobs.

This would backfire, trust me.

IMO job hopping internationally for pathology would be a huge derailment of a serious career. I would suggest another field like derm or rads with the demand to support someone who wants to move in and out of jobs.

This would backfire, trust me.

Doesn't this depend on an individuals career goals?

no. do NOT go into path if you want that sort of lifestyle.

you don't have to "job-hop" to work internationally. true, you will not be able to work for months on end in other countries, but that doesn't mean that international work is off-limits. there are myriad ways to contribute that don't require stationary posts