Opportunities in Canada for preclinical students?

Started by dermacat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dermacat

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are there any short-term programs in Canada for international medical students that are in their preclinical years? I am an incoming medical student in the U.S. and I'm looking for a 1-2 week program during December-January of my first and/or second year. I've come across several longer programs available in the summer months, but my summers will be fully occupied since I am a dual degree student. I'm also finding difficulty in identifying programs that welcome medical students in their preclinical years, as opposed to pre-meds or MS3/4s. Do you know of any opportunities that are available to me as an MS1/2? I'm most interested in abroad programs in Canada, Australia, or England, though any suggestions at all would be much appreciated, thank you!
 
You can do an observership in certain provinces, and possibly more if you know a doctor really well who's willing to let you do more, but generally schools don't take visiting pre-clerks for proper electives. You might be able to do some research type thing though. Many admin staff and doctors take holiday and shut down their clinics/don't schedule procedures during this time as well.