Opposition to Rocky Vista

Started by DO Anes
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

absolutlely well said...keep up the opposition. I will always be against this schools opening and i thank you for your heartfeld passion for this subject.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't mean to inflame any strong feelings or even dispute this crusade, but how do we know if this will be a bad thing if the last for profit medical school was closed over 70 years ago. Isn't it possible that the investors and coordinators have learn a lesson from past mistakes and that this may be a good thing. I fit into the category that can't be picky when it comes to medical school, so I am sort of excited by the fact that another option has surfaced. However, I may be speaking in total ignorance of the solution. Can you guys tell me something I dont know? How would this be a bad thing for me? 🙁

I was looking forward to applying here, now it seems there is a massive campaign to keep this from happening, and I cant see how examples from the 1930's and the fact that another state refused an opening is a powerful reason. Be gentle, this is an inquiry on my part, not an argument.
 
It's more guilt by association. For-profit colleges have a negative reputation amongst the public and especially in academia.

Medical schools are not just vocational schools where its only purpose is to churn out doctors. It should also be engaged in academia, scholarly work, etc. For-profit schools don't necessarily have a reputation in academia, and most certainly don't have a reputation for scholarly work. Another difficulty will be finding quality people who are willing to get academic appointment/tenure at a for-profit schools. Look at the current popular for-profit schools - do you see faculty, grad students, etc flocking to get academic appointments there? (DeVry, University of Phoenix, Strayer, Capella, etc)

Right or wrong, being a for-profit school Rocky Vista will be associated with other for-profit schools.

As a potential student, you must also think long-term. How will it affect residency selection? What if you want an academic career in the future? Or more immediate, how will you respond to the jeers and snide remarks when you meet your fellow students/colleagues at regional and national meetings? Or during rotation, what if you are rotating with attendings (MDs, DOs) who don't like the concept of a for-profit medical school?



An intereting read is a review article by Regina Deil-Amen (assistant professor of higher education, Univ. of Arizona) in the Review of Higher Education, on a book by Vicente M. Lechuga (The Changing Landscape of the Academic Profession: Faculty Culture at For-Profit Colleges and Universities. New York: Routledge, 2005. 276 pp).

some select quotes:

"At these for-profit institutions, the highly standardized educational commodity is delivered by practitioner faculty—independent contractors whose main professional identity is located within their accumulated professional experiences outside their faculty role."

"...full-time faculty are essentially administrators who also teach, but whose main responsibility is to hire instructors and maintain the operation and quality of their respective programs. Lechuga does a wonderful job of examining the tensions that arise when faculty desires for autonomy, academic freedom, and shared governance conflict with the corporate norms of efficiency, standardization, quality control, and market-driven, top-down decision-making."

"In the other two smaller institutions, full-time faculty are more numerous, but they struggle in the face of job instability."
 
I wouldn't go to a for profit school unless it was a vocational school. However, this isn't different from any other school, IMO. Schools are businesses, even if supported by the state. Look at all the fund raising campaigns and the endowments at some schools.

While some people do not get rich at the big schools with big endowments, their jobs are cushy and they (professors, administrators, coaches, etc) get paid well and some live in college-provided housing. While they may never be rich, they will always have a good, steady stream of income unless they screw up.

In some ways a for-profit school could greatly benefit students. Such a school would not hesitate to fire horrible professors because it would hurt enrollment is the faculty has a bad reputation. Right now there is a good old boy thing going in all schools. If a professor earns tenure it is almost impossible to get rid of him or her despite if the professor is absolutely horrible.

It would also force on some sort of cost conscientiousness on schools. It seemed like my college would complain about money yet they were utterly incompetent when it came to efficiency. So many administrative positions seemed redundant and many students didn't know what half the administrators did (because no one could figure it out!).
 
In some ways a for-profit school could greatly benefit students. Such a school would not hesitate to fire horrible professors because it would hurt enrollment is the faculty has a bad reputation.

Aye, there's the rub. If you look at current for-profit schools, they are not known for their selectivity. That is also a concern for Rocky Vista - how far will they go to enroll students? How big will the class size be? Will there be pressure to increase class size to generate more income? If the class is not full, will the school be tempted to accept unqualified applicants? Or if a student is not meeting academic standards, will the school kick the student out (and lose tuition money)?

Also another aspect - the school will have a very small endowment. Endowment gives schools flexibility in terms of what they want to do. It allow schools to offer school-based scholarship. It allows schools to build new buildings, dorms, research facility, recreational area, etc. It allows the school to set up endowed professorships and chairmanship to attract top-rated faculty members. It allows the school to plan for the future. Schools with small endowment are restricted in terms of growth, long-term planning, and are more dependant on outside funding (private grants, federal/state aid, etc) and tuition dollars. Of course, being for-profit, a source of income could be from investors.

Without an alumni network, it will be hard to fund-raise. Being a for-profit status, it might be hard to find donors willing to give cash since it might not be tax deductible. If you don't think endowments have any direct effects on students, check out the schools with paltry endowments (or on a verge of having no endowment) - and see how student life and academics are affected.
 
In case you have been to the Rocky Vista web site, their "accreditation" page falsely states that "Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine receives it [sic] programmatic accreditation from the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) through its Commission for Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA)." screenshot

Rocky Vista has not received even provisional accreditation. That decision will be made on August 25, 2007:

Review of accreditation activities will begin on August 25th at 9:00am (CDT). Two initial provisional accreditation site visit reports will be reviewed: Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (Parker, CO) [...]The COCA is expected to make a decision on whether to grant initial provisional accreditation to these two colleges. link
 
I would also urge ALL pre-meds NOT to apply there (whether they receive accreditation or not), because of it's for-profit status. For the sake of osteopathic medicine, please do not apply there.
 
I would also urge ALL pre-meds NOT to apply there (whether they receive accreditation or not), because of it's for-profit status. For the sake of osteopathic medicine, please do not apply there.


Seconded. AOA...if you're out there...please do something about this!!
 
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY TO THIS SCHOOL!! It will probably be a waste of money anyway because many things are being done to keep this "for profit" school from opening. If it opens, it will ruin Osteopathic Medicine

Is there really any chance that it will be prevented from opening?
 
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY TO THIS SCHOOL!! It will probably be a waste of money anyway because many things are being done to keep this "for profit" school from opening. If it opens, it will ruin Osteopathic Medicine

I agree, please do not support this school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you are as appalled at the for-profit initiative as I am, make your voice heard by our leadership. The Rocky Vista Corporation doesn't care. They are on track and, thus far, the AOA doesn't have the courage to even voice a mild statement of disapproval. I have done and suggest the following:

1. Make 2 copies of your AOA membership card.
2. On the copies, write SHAME across the card in bold, red letters.
3. Write, "I disapprove of for-profit medical education!" on the copies and sign your name.
4. Mail one each to:

Peter Ajluni
President, American Osteopathic Association
142 East Ontario Street
Chicago, Illinois 60611

and

Konrad Miskowicz-Retz, PhD,
Secretary, Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation
142 E. Ontario Street
Chicago, IL 60611

Time is running out. COCA meets on the 25th and looks like it is going to accredit Rocky Vista unless a groundswell of opposition manifests itself. In its corporate documents, Rocky Vista states it intends to open more Osteopathic Schools - sort of a franchise. MD/DO? How about McDO? The other Caribbean "investors" are sure to follow suit, at least until CMS shuts the entire profession down. Of course, by then, the investors will have milked the cow and gone on to something else. STOP THIS NOW!

Shame on us.
Shame on this profession
Shame on the mercenaries who have brought dishonor upon us.
Fit for life?
How about:
Open for business.
 
Hey guys, I understand that the idea of for-profit isn't to appealing and maybe even scares some of you. I know that I'll get flack from many of you but if you think about it most med schools are money making schools anyways. We pay anywhere from twelve thousand to I believe the most is in the area of sixty thousand. 100-200 students, per class, for 4 years is a lot of money the schools recieve. Not to mention the money the school gets from the government if they are state schools and then of course those generous donors. So how is Rocky Vista any different. They just don't have state backing and are honest of their intentions to make a few dollars. This is just my feelings. I will do some more research before I make my judgment. No reason to let for-profit scare me just yet.
 
What is it about profit that is scaring people? I happen to believe in a capitalistic system with intense competition. If all medical schools were setup this way, I dare say medical education would be better off, and in the long run our education would probably cost us less.
 
Simply, the LCME and AMA view for-profit education as inferior. They defeated a Ross University initiative in Wyoming in 1999 on that basis. If the AOA permits a for-profit, it is easy to go down the road of for-profit=inferior=COCA=DO's. Sure, a lot of people say, "who cares what the AMA thinks?" This is more than window dressing and hard feelings. The US medical sysem is facing a tremendous challenge as the baby boomers reach retirement. Competition for financial resources is going to intensify and the pool of money will dwindle. It is not difficult to imagine a future where graduates of "non-LCME" schools (i.e. inferior) are not eligible for third-party reimbursement. That will be the end of this profession. Do you think it ends with one college in Denver? Rocky Vista has stated they intend to open MORE osteopathic schools, no doubt followed by every other Caribbean school and online university. When the University of Phoenix opens their online DO school, how do you think the AMA/CMS/outside world is going to view osteopathic medicine? Glorified massage therapists?

A group of students at one of our colleges has organized an online petition to COCA/AOA voicing disapproval of for-profit medical education and asking them to do the same. You can access the petition at: http://www.petitiononline.com/not4pro/

If you are interested, please take a moment to look this over and add your signature if you are in agreement.
George Mychaskiw II, DO, FAAP
 
It's like DeVry, which now owns Ross in Dominica. It's not a school so much as it is a corporation.
 
DO Anes. I have attached a document which is a reply to all of your many and sundry posts.

I will not be replying again, in this forum, to you.

Thank you.
 

Attachments

DO Anes. I have attached a document which is a reply to all of your many and sundry posts.

I will not be replying again, in this forum, to you.

Thank you.

Hmmmm ...

Definitely the most interesting thing I have read on SDN in a while. Normally it's pre-meds battling ... not the grown ups! I really feel weird giving my two cents about this response, it's not my place ... so I will not.
 
DO Anes. I have attached a document which is a reply to all of your many and sundry posts.

I will not be replying again, in this forum, to you.

Thank you.

it's not my place ... so I will not.

Then I'll do it.

This is by far one of the saddest displays I've seen in quite some time. I had a hard time reading it after you opened explaining that this is an attempt to stop "endless character assassination" and then proceeded to do the same thing which your accusing Dr Mychaskiw of doing. This wasn't a reply to a sundry post, this was a mud slinging contest where you're playing a sad game of one-up-man-ship. Congrats, your mud was muddier.

Although I do appreciate that you included the statement that you would "not attempt to answer every point" raised by Dr Mychaskiw, because quite frankly, you didn't even bother to address a single point. So please, Dr "Associate Dean of Biomedical Sciences", what virtuous of being a For-profit institution bring to the table that the standard not-for profit education does not offer? And how is this not a potential nidus for rapaciousness (yes I used a thesaurus) upon the already outrageous tuition costs to newly graduated physicians?

RV should really hire a good PR person......
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DO Anes. I have attached a document which is a reply to all of your many and sundry posts.

I will not be replying again, in this forum, to you.

Thank you.

Very strange. I think both sides have pros and cons, but ultimately I am against for-profit schools. Having worked in both non-profit institutions and corporate for-profit institutions, I have personally experienced the difference. The biggest problem I see with for-profit is the first question asked about everything is always "will it be profitable?". I imagine that a for-profit health education will be the same. In the end, money always ends up being the motivating factor. When it comes to our education, I think profit should never be a first priority.
 
And how is this not a potential nidus for rapaciousness (yes I used a thesaurus) upon the already outrageous tuition costs to newly graduated physicians?

RV should really hire a good PR person......

I'm glad someone else picked up on the gratuitous thesaurus abuse also.


DO Path... even though you say you won't be responding anymore, I'm sure you're reading this, so I must ask:

You say in your letter that the dissent is being driven by a single DO at an allopathic institution (because its really important what type of institution someone is employed by 🙄) and that whatever negative opinions about RVU are limited to studentdoctor.net. If all of this is true, then why post a 3 page response letter that includes your autobiography? If the dissent is really just a DO in mississippi and a few impressionable students on SDN, who the hell cares?

The only explanation I can think of is that your investors are googling "rocky vista university" and coming up with these threads as the top results. They get pissed, then tell you to put a stop to it. :idea: Am I close? I think I have to be... I don't see any other reason for an associate dean or whatever to publicly become involved in such shenanigans (didn't even use a thesaurus bro).
 
Wow is right.

All I can say is that I am against all medicine being for-profit. The American medical system is on the brink of collapse. Health and well-being is fought for around the world as a basic civil liberty/right and yet America takes Capitalism to the next level, making medical care so expensive that almost 50 million Americans can not afford it.

Medical schools need to be focusing on training enough doctors to cover the 20% (and rising) of the population that lives in medically underserved areas instead of trying to make money on the future doctors.

The people who get to go to medical school should be the people truly committed to service not those whom have trust funds!
 
I do not see a difference between for-profit and non-profit schools. Both are out there to make money one way or the other.
 
You say in your letter that the dissent is being driven by a single DO at an allopathic institution (because its really important what type of institution someone is employed by 🙄) and that whatever negative opinions about RVU are limited to studentdoctor.net. If all of this is true, then why post a 3 page response letter that includes your autobiography? If the dissent is really just a DO in mississippi and a few impressionable students on SDN, who the hell cares?


Very well said. DO Path is a joke. I find it hard to believe that someone so "accomplished" is so INCREDIBLY insecure about some threads on studentdoctor that he feels the need to write up a response complete with his credentials so we can admire him in all his glory. He really showed how "respectable" he is with the childish comebacks. Needing medication? Come on are you in high school?

He also didn't address ANY of the points made by DO Anes or anyone else on these threads for that matter. He just attacked one guy using his life story and the good old school yard tactic "say that to my face". Really professional.

If he had been pleasant and offered a real invitation to see the school or perhaps some responses to the valid arguments posted on here then I would have taken him seriously. It did not help his case for his school to use lame insults and challenge someone to a fight in so many words.

Who wants a dean like that? If you go to him about a suggestion or a complaint about the school he will probably suggest you both take this outside and handle it like men.

I would never apply to a school with administrators like that.
 
I do not see a difference between for-profit and non-profit schools. Both are out there to make money one way or the other.

This is true to some degree, but not entirely. I can tell you that in both science jobs I have worked at, academia was much more flexible on letting me do my own scientific exploration that I thought would be beneficial to people as a whole. In business, again, the first thing I am asked when I want to do R/D is how much money will it make?

This is a profound difference.

Thus, this will be the same question that will be put to RVU's dean of admissions when he wants to expand the school in any dimension. Although he may be the boss of the school, the investors are HIS boss. Sometimes the expansion may benefit both the students and the investors, but not always. If the investors can't make money, then they won't invest. Thus RVU's first priority will always be to please it's investors ABOVE its students. In a non-profit situation, money is not as large of a component. Yes, money is always an issue, but in my experience the question of "what will this do for humanity?" usually comes first in non-profit, then they will worry about money later.
 
What's really hilarious about this whole thing is that this individual seems to think he's helping his cause by posting this sort of juvenile trash on a public forum. It makes me wonder if the author is someone who is posing and trying to hurt the school or if RV really has people this dumb in administration. If the latter is true, I am so glad I didn't apply to this school. :laugh:

DO Anes. I have attached a document which is a reply to all of your many and sundry posts.

I will not be replying again, in this forum, to you.

Thank you.
 
Hmmmm ...

Definitely the most interesting thing I have read on SDN in a while. Normally it's pre-meds battling ... not the grown ups! I really feel weird giving my two cents about this response, it's not my place ... so I will not.

Thank you, JaggerPlate. This forum is widely read by med school administrators, students and applicants. It is not just a scant few who come on this board. Someone (who knows the structure and intentions of Rocky Vista; the safeguards that have been built in and the good character of the professionals involved, including the accreditors and accrediting bodies) had every right to challenge the largely uninformed charges of fundamental nefarious intentions and virtual conspiracy theories, concerning Rocky Vista, for the potential applicants who may read the posts on this board.

That being said, this is Studentdoctor.net, so I will terminate my registration. No doubt I will be vilified by those who do not want their preconceptions and assumptions, without any real knowledge of what is occurring at Rocky Vista, challenged.
 
Someone (who knows the structure and intentions of Rocky Vista; the safeguards that have been built in and the good character of the professionals involved, including the accreditors and accrediting bodies) had every right to challenge the largely uninformed charges of fundamental nefarious intentions and virtual conspiracy theories, concerning Rocky Vista, for the potential applicants who may read the posts on this board.

Pardon me for asking, but I must have missed where you actually did this. So where did you challenge what he said.
 
I really find it hard to believe that professionals would behave in such a manner. Dr. PATH, I don't doubt you are who you say you are, but that was poor form IMO. In the same vein as a PL and PSG getting in a fight in front of the men.

I won't be applying to RVU for simple reasons that have nothing to do with the larger philosophical arguements for or against profit or non-profit.

I don't want to be a pathfinder. There are too many other options then to risk my potential career on an untried institution. It might be the greatest things since sliced bread or it might be a giant failure. Either way, after dumping a ton of money and three years of my life into this pursuit, I am in no mood to gamble and be a guinea pig.
 
That being said, this is Studentdoctor.net, so I will terminate my registration. No doubt I will be vilified by those who do not want their preconceptions and assumptions, without any real knowledge of what is occurring at Rocky Vista, challenged.

I don't hear alot of what's actually occurring within Rocky Vista other than innuendo and insinuations that "we should just trust you" I'm sorry, but that's not really a great way to offset peoples concerns about this situation.

No doubt I will be vilified by those who do not want their preconceptions and assumptions, ..... challenged.

Please feel free to come down off your cross.

If you want to change peoples preconceptions and notions, you are not going about it in a professional manner.
 
I say give it a rest already!

"Hear, hear!"

Let's wait until we see the end product and then should the situation warrant, allow the whining to commence. I would venture to say that they'll produce some great physicians to meet the needs of the Mountain West to avert a potential health crisis in the future. The current "threat" to the profession is a misconception in my humble opinion. The future steps of the AOA will dictate.

IMO and after researching this extensively, DO Path is correct in that most of this malarkey is the result of a small number of turd churns. :meanie:
 
Here is RVU's letter to Dr Mychaski and my own personal feelings:

DOAnes
Well, George Mychaskiw, D.O., FAAP
Re: Rocky Vista Univ COM

Since no one has seen fit to stop this endless character assassination, vitriolic innuendoes, out-right false misrepresentations and wailing of poorly or totally uninformed premedical, medical, osteopathic and you, sir, as the only physician doing your level best to be an unrelenting alarmist and whip these students or potential students into a paranoid frenzy, I would suppose it is both right and appropriate for me to be allowed to make a few statements.
As far as I can tell, Dr. Mychaskiw, you are a DO at an allopathic academic health center who is good friends with "a former President of the AMA", have more than a few close friends as "deans" who you allude to and, it's not very clear, but they appear to be at both osteopathic and allopathic institutions. You report having talked to many of these highly placed and influential medical personages all of whom, you say, share your deep concerns and vast alarm. You must truly be highly respected and possess utterly impressive gravitas to have so many friends in high places.

Dr Mychaskiw has had previous editorial letters appearing in the JAOA. He is very concerned about the direction of the osteopathic profession. And I do recall one editorial in particular several years ago where he was concerned with the quality controle at our GMEs and also our board certification processes for specific medical speacialties.

I must confess that my sympathy is with Dr Mychaski - he has repeatedly made his views known on the AOA President's blog by Dr Peter Aljuni - and there has been a very interesting three way discussion between Dr Mychaski and Dr Ajluni and Dr Ronnie of RVU.

In those discussions on the AOA blog - I have noticed that there has been a lot of suspicion - some of it very fair and some of it not so fair - about the nature of RVU. I must confess that I personally feel that the latest expansion of AOA schools and the lack of residencies puts many medical students in jeopardy. Add to this a, profit school, and now many people are wondering a great deal about their future. It is only rational that people be concerned for their own carreer and profession as a DO. This is medicine we are talking about - not a bussiness. If the general public where to realize that there were a several for profit medical schools opening up in the country, do you not think that Congress will redo the 1911 Flexner report? The Flexner report was almost 100 years ago - but I think it might not be a good idea to dismiss it as rubbage.

Those of you interested in this should visit the AOA Presiden't opinion blog.http://blogs.do-online.org/aoapresident.php?itemid=2994&catid=15#c


Dr. Mychaskiw, you should come out to Colorado and be the professional watchdog, an Inspector-General if you would, at Rocky Vista. I am truly puzzled that you ply your craft at an allopathic institution when you could be lending your doubtlessly impeccable clinical skills to an osteopathic institution, so that, as you practice anesthesiology, you might additionally function as an ever-vigilant monitor in your campaign to govern and regulate, to your satisfaction that institution and, of course, RVUCOM, and other osteopathic institutions, including those that have, fairly recently, "sprung up".

Dr Mychaskiw has raised issue with the quality control in our GMEs in the past. It is only natural that if he is concerned about our GMEs that he also be concerned about our medical schools. The head is not seperated from the foot. To state that "you ply your craft at an allopathic institution" suggest to me that you look down on allopathic medicine.

I personally have a great deal of respect for allopathic students and MD physicians. With this in mind we need more DOs out in the allopathic world to get our point across. We have a philosophy and additional training that we can bring to help patients. Now would you rather we squander that talent and keep it to ourselves?

No, we should be sharing that talent and showing others what it can do. Let me borrow a religious analogy - we should spread "the word" so to speak. Missionary activity. And while we're at it, let's listen to what the allopaths have to offer to patients as well.

Yet how can we spread "the word" if our own house is not built on a foundation of rock. THAT is what all these comments on SDN and the AOA President's blog are all about. May I suggest to you that you change RVU into a non-profit institution rather than dragging down the entire osteopathic profession.


You have attacked virtually everyone I can think of in what I consider your uniformed and callous rages against RVUCOM, the AOA, including its BOT, COCA, unspecified Caribbean schools, the faculty at RVUCOM ((do you know any of them?), in your campaign for the future of osteopathic medicine which, as you seem to characterize it, is imminently and irrevocably plunging off a cliff. You endlessly churn what you seem to delineate as quite real and the ‘truth'; then level charges and characterizations which could, quite fairly, be labeled as character assassination and libel.
How can I state this with any certainty? I am Associate Dean of Biomedical Sciences at Rocky Vista, and, unlike you, Dr. Mychaskiw, I do know the facts and what is happening at Rocky Vista.

I am sorry to use this analogy, but I will: There's a reason why the Japanese auto manufactures out did us in the 90s and today our own domestic auto manufacturing groups in Detroit are struggling. It is called QUALITY CONTROL.

People are worried about quality. If all we do is turn out lack lusters DOs, what will that say about our profession? So when there's a for profit medical school about to open up - what does that say about our profession? We are talking about making doctors now - not making cars. There should be stringent regulations on the schools that train DOs.

Does the AOA have any control? According to some of the AOA blogs, the answer is no. The control belongs to COCA. Yet we have minimal control over COCA - and the amount of resources needed to open an osteopathic program is miniscule compared to an LCME one. The standards are simply lower - low enough that medicine can be taught not with the care of patients as the bottom line - but profits.

That concerns me a great deal.


I will not attempt to answer every point you have raised, Dr. Mychaskiw because frankly, in my opinion, they are so rambling, vitriolic and misinformed that there is no logical place to start. It would be a useless exercise. However what I will do is invite you, here and now, to come to my office - sit down and look me in the face. I would be glad to have any discussion with you that you might like.
Let me tell you my background, Dr. Mychaskiw, so that you may see that I am clearly a misguided and besotted soul who is somehow involved in chicanery, very likely profit-based money grubbing and,

Well, if you do not want to defend your self and your for profit institution, then that suggest to me you have folded to Dr Mychaskiw's arguments. And after reading this on SDN and on the President's AOA blog, I must admit that I have a great deal of difficulty believing you or Dr Ronnie on the AOA blog.

2
it almost goes without saying from your allegations, a poorly-prepared educator -who may well be among those that you allude are likely flooding in from the Caribbean.
Following high school in the Midwest, I joined the Army and became a Special Forces soldier who spent a year in open and covert operations in Vietnam. I was trained as a medic and weapons expert in Special Forces. My best friend from those Army days was the longest-serving Special Agent in Charge of the Presidential Protective Detail, served under four Presidents and ultimately became Director of the United States Secret Service. If you would like for him to send you a letter of reference concerning me, that could doubtlessly be arranged. You are clearly a man who needs to be reassured, and, in my opinion, probably medicated.

Dr Mychaskiw has made himself known in the past. Several years before I heard about the formation of RVUCOM. To suggest that he needs to be "medicated" displays a large amount of immaturity. I saw some nasty posts from both sides on the AOA blog - but I guess SDN is one step above that of the AOA blog.

Following that, I attended a fully accredited (American) University and what was then the Kansas City College of Osteopathic Medicine. I spent many active duty periods as an HPSP student at numerous Army hospitals and Medical Centers including Brooke AMC, Fitzsimons AMC and Walter Reed. I re-entered the US Army, did a rotating internship and was the first DO to take a pathology residency at Fitzsimons Army Medical Center. After I became Chief Resident, they accepted other DO's in the program.
Directly out of my residency, I was named Chief of Anatomic Pathology at what was then Landstuhl Army Medical Center. It is now Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, on the hill just above Ramstein Air Force Base – US Air Force Europe, Headquarters. Landstuhl was then, as it is now, the military's largest (and referral) medical center outside the continental United States.
I returned to the US to become Chief of Surgical Pathology and pathology residency program director at Brooke Army Medical Center. As I recall, only one of my residents was a DO.
I left active duty to accept the position as Chairman of Pathology at the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine – the medical school for the University of North Texas Health Science Center. During my twenty years as chairman, we built the largest academic/forensic DNA laboratory in the country and, apparently, the only academic laboratory of that type to be on-line with CODIS (the Combined DNA Indexing System) with the FBI, and worked closely with Texas DPS, the Department of Justice and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. I practiced surgical and forensic pathology for many years. I also was the single most prolific teacher at TCOM, responsible for teaching-learning formats in multiple foundational and system courses. In addition to being Chairman of the Department of Pathology and the Center for Human Identification, I became Associate Dean of Medical Education and was instrumental in revamping the TCOM curriculum especially focusing upon innovative techniques in active, adult learning for life-long learners – physicians. Student Board scores improved markedly. My former TCOM students reading this will know who I am.

These, sir, are all very good credentials. If this is true - then why are you opening a for profit medical school in the first place? I would imagine that with such military credentials you could convice the military to support an osteopathic program. There are many DOs in the military and you would garner much support - so why a private for profit school? I have spoken to several US Army personel (enlisted personel) who are now DO students. I think that says that we're making a huge help for the men and women in uniform.


3
I also believe those same students, and, literally, thousands of graduates know that I give you a succinct personal history not for self-aggrandizement, Dr. Mychaskiw, but for your evaluation and likely conclusion that my background implies a naïve, unprepared physician of little integrity who is easily taken in by unscrupulous people. This must be a vast conspiracy by those who have both begun RVUCOM and those who accredit the institution, for no other reason than to figuratively and financially rape students and destroy the credibility of the osteopathic profession.
Please come to Colorado, Dr. Mychaskiw and monitor me, the nascent school, the 150,000sq ft building that is going up as Phase I of the campus, and all of the degrading and indefensible things that are, in your characterizations, occurring here – aided and abetted apparently by the Board of Trustees of the AOA. Only you, evidently, have the moral integrity and incredible insight, from afar, to both know exactly what is wrong, and to set things right here.
For students and others reading these posts, the "massive" opposition to Rocky Vista is being stoked primarily by one individual and exists almost exclusively on studentdoctor.net – net hysteria inflamed by his vitriolic crusade. I won't be responding here but how soon can you come to Colorado, Dr. Mychaskiw?

I suggest that you visit the AOA blog concerning your school. It had many similar in tone and nature comments that you see here on SDN.

And it's not just Dr Mychaskiw who is concerned. May I suggest to you to change the charter of your school from a for profit instutuion to a non-profit one. This is medicine, not a bussiness.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2007/10/01/prsc1001.htm

PROFESSIONAL ISSUES
First for-profit med school nears approval
Medical educators debate whether the school will sacrifice education for profits.


By Myrle Croasdale, AMNews staff. Oct. 1, 2007.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine in Parker, Colo., one step closer to becoming the only for-profit, accredited medical school in the United States, it is generating controversy in the medical community.

In August, the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation awarded the school provisional accreditation. Once fully accredited, it will join the ranks of 149 public and private medical schools in the U.S. All those institutions are nonprofits.

With this article

Rocky Vista at a glance


See related content
Critics say a for-profit school will be beholden to investors and will scrimp on educational mission. Supporters assert that Rocky Vista must meet the same accreditation standards of other osteopathic schools. They also say the school's educational outcomes will be the same as nonprofit schools.

"People are paying a lot of attention to this. There's been a lot of discussion, and there are some very vocal people against it," said Stephen C. Shannon, DO, MPH, president and CEO of the American Assn. of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine.

The phrase "for-profit school" triggers a negative picture of a business making money from tuition while skimping on education, he said. Medical educators from DO and MD schools alike are watching to see if Rocky Vista transcends that image.

Dr. Shannon is betting on Rocky Vista's success, at least as an educational venture. "It remains to be seen if this is the beginning of a trend or not," Dr. Shannon said. "That's not beyond the realm of possibilities."

There are 149 public and private accredited medical schools in the U.S.
He said Rocky Vista represents a change in how osteopathic medical education is structured, not a change in curriculum, clinical training, research or focus on primary care.

"The key is to be sure that the development of any college of osteopathic medicine, like allopathic medicine, is following national standards and focusing on quality education that relates to the needs of our health care system," Dr. Shannon said.

Ronnie Martin, DO, RPh, dean and chief academic officer of Rocky Vista, said the school board's independence convinced him to join the staff.


He said the board is free to determine the school's mission and budget, without interference from the school's chancellor and chief investor, Coral Gables, Fla.-businessman Yife Tien, who is not on the board. Tien is involved in managing the American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine on Montserrat, according to the Rocky Vista Web site.

Dr. Martin said he was not given guidelines on what profits the school is expected to generate.

Neither Tien or Rocky Vista's public relations representative returned phone calls. But according to Dr. Martin, the school's auditing firm projected that there will be no return on the $100 million investment for the first two to three years. The firm predicts that it will take 17 years to break even.

George Mychaskiw II, DO, chief of anesthesia at the Blair E. Batson Children's Hospital in Jackson, Miss., said he does not believe that accreditation standards are enough to ensure that a school with private investors will give students a high-quality education.

Dr. Mychaskiw said he believes a for-profit school within the osteopathic profession's ranks erodes creditability. "This is a very unsavory situation," said Dr. Mychaskiw, who also is a professor at the University of Mississippi School of Medicine.

Richard A. Cooper, MD, a physician work force expert and senior fellow at the University of Pennsylvania's Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics in Philadelphia, said the entry of a for-profit medical school is one of several factors muddying medical education's waters.

An increasing number of schools have moved away from the traditional model where students are immersed in an academic medical campus and culture in which there is a medical school and teaching hospital with clinical staff committed to education, patient care and research.

Instead, he said, new schools without ties to a neighboring tertiary hospital are shipping their students out for their third- and fourth-year clerkships to hospitals without strong teaching or research backgrounds.

"You learn a lot in medical school besides how to pass the exam [U.S. Medical Licensing Examination]," Dr. Cooper said. "You learn professionalism, leadership, responsibility. You are immersed in the experience."

It is a very special educational environment, he said, one that for-profit schools might not be able to capture.
 
I can't agree more with DO Anes and the potshots taken by that prof from RVU are purely immature and hopefully fake if the school is to have any credibility. If anything, I think RVU will attract some of the least qualified applicants due to its for-profit status, unclear stafford loan ability and it being a new school. This of course will be reflected in its board scores and when half the class simply doesnt make it to third year, the effects of for-profit status will become clear. I've said this before and I"ll say it again, for-profit medical schools using the carribean model over accept for the preclinical years and dwindle the number of students down via failures in classes and the boards. They in effect profit greatly from not having enough rotation sites for all students entering the first year. Rocky Vista, perhaps not in its first year, but soon enough will follow this model, its owners have tried and tested it in the islands and they have profited greatly. DO students look at your schools and see what your attrition is, it cant be more than 10% (im using a very high number here). Expect RVU to be a multiple of that. Why would anyone choose to go to a for-profit school, when state funded (umdnj, tcom, osu, msu etc) and private nonprofit (around 20 schools) existed? Why would you put yourself in this situation unless you lived near the school and wanted to stay in Colorado.