Opted OAT Scores

OptoStudent01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i am about to start studying for the OAT's. My scheduled date is around Aug 25th. I figured i should test myself before i start studying. I took the Opted Practice OAT....My scores:

Qrt - 340
Rct - 280
Bio - 260
GChem - 330
OChem - 290
Phy - 270

In total i got a 300

How is this score for not studying? did any of you guys do the same thing? what did you get? i knw i need to work on alot of the sections but i just wanted to see how everyone else did before they started studying.

Also do you think 6 weeks is a good timeline to study? what worked for you guys as far as setting up a schedule to study.

I am going to be using the Kaplan Review book, think thats enough? and i have two practive tests from the kaplan book as well

Members don't see this ad.

Keep doing practice tests is my suggestions, and then go over the questions, more so in the areas you scored low on..

asking about the scores w/o studying is irrelevant in my opinion. 6 weeks is sufficient. Everytime you miss a question, grab a textbook and read the entire chapter on the topic and understand why you missed it. do this, you'll be fine (except for QR where you just have to be good at short-hand math).

asking about the scores w/o studying is irrelevant in my opinion. 6 weeks is sufficient. Everytime you miss a question, grab a textbook and read the entire chapter on the topic and understand why you missed it. do this, you'll be fine (except for QR where you just have to be good at short-hand math).

agreed. the only sections where you can get a fair estimate of your score is the RC and QR because those are more applied techniques than learned. i did the same thing as you and found that my science sections were all over the place because i mainly guessed before i studied the material and took it again.

Members don't see this ad :)
agreed. the only sections where you can get a fair estimate of your score is the RC and QR because those are more applied techniques than learned. i did the same thing as you and found that my science sections were all over the place because i mainly guessed before i studied the material and took it again.

So what were your scores?

and yea i knw i have to work on my scores but i just wanted to find out how everyone else stood that took the practice without studying...im starting to study now...planning to take a week for each science section and a week for reading and quantitative reasoning. and last week just relaxing and taking practice exams....

think thats a good idea?

Your QR is pretty good and I would suggest not studying for that and instead use that time to brush up on biology or physics.. plus, QR is hard to study for because as the above person stated, it takes what you already know and applies it.

I also remember some of the physics questions were right from that practice test on opted.org

RC is hard to study for, but QR i think is definately worth studying. Aside from ochem, doing QR practice problems was the most beneficial for me. You need to realize that you've got to work fast and practice shortcut techniques. I can give you a super complicated long division problem that has multiple powers contained in it, but if you can simplify it down and cancel out common factors, it can be done in less than 50 seconds. Or I can give you a problem with lots of natural logs, and you may think "o crap i can't do natural logs without a calculator," you should be able to realize that it could be simplified to to ln(1) which is equal to zero. Every problem can be done in less than 50 seconds, you just need to either find shortcuts, estimate, set up the problem faster, or isolate an answer some how. Everyone can get a 400 in QR given infinite time, but you need to be familiar with math to be able to work fast.