Opthalmology vs Rad onc summer research

Discussion in 'Radiation Oncology' started by Bioengineer, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Bioengineer

Bioengineer The Usurpator
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi, I am a first year medical student and will have the opportunity to do research this summer prior to starting my second year. I am interested in Rad Onc and Opthalmology. I know that both Rad Onc and Opthalmology are competitive, but I wanted to get a feel from you all as to which one would be a better choice for me to try and do summer research in, since I don't have any more "free" summers after this one. Thanks! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. DOCTORSAIB

DOCTORSAIB Ophtho or bust!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wouldn't the answer to your question depend on:

1) Which field you're leaning more towards
    2) Where the research opportunity is (i.e. reputation of the institution/attending)

I think you need to do some practical research first and find out more about these two fields. Perhaps you can shadow someone to at least get a feel for the field. They are two VERY different specialities.

And it's spelled "Ophthalmology." (most people murder the word, so you're not alone). G'luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...