Opthalmology vs Rad onc summer research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bioengineer

The Usurpator
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a first year medical student and will have the opportunity to do research this summer prior to starting my second year. I am interested in Rad Onc and Opthalmology. I know that both Rad Onc and Opthalmology are competitive, but I wanted to get a feel from you all as to which one would be a better choice for me to try and do summer research in, since I don't have any more "free" summers after this one. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Bioengineer said:
Hi, I am a first year medical student and will have the opportunity to do research this summer prior to starting my second year. I am interested in Rad Onc and Opthalmology. I know that both Rad Onc and Opthalmology are competitive, but I wanted to get a feel from you all as to which one would be a better choice for me to try and do summer research in, since I don't have any more "free" summers after this one. Thanks! :)

Wouldn't the answer to your question depend on:

1) Which field you're leaning more towards
2) Where the research opportunity is (i.e. reputation of the institution/attending)

I think you need to do some practical research first and find out more about these two fields. Perhaps you can shadow someone to at least get a feel for the field. They are two VERY different specialities.

And it's spelled "Ophthalmology." (most people murder the word, so you're not alone). G'luck.