Opthalmology

Started by finney79
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

finney79

New Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I AM INTERESTED IN OPTHALMOLOGY. I AM ONLY A SOPHMORE IN COLLEGE. HOW MANY MORE YEARS OF EDUCATION IS NEEDED. DO YOU GO TO MEDICAL SCHOOL?
 
Originally posted by finney79
I AM INTERESTED IN OPTHALMOLOGY. I AM ONLY A SOPHMORE IN COLLEGE. HOW MANY MORE YEARS OF EDUCATION IS NEEDED. DO YOU GO TO MEDICAL SCHOOL?

Becoming an ophthalmologist requires at least 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, and 4 years of post-grad training (internship + residency). If you want to specialize more, then you must dedicate another 1-2 years, e.g. retina, glaucoma, oculoplastics, neuro-ophthalmology, uveitis, cornea, pediatrics, or ocular pathology.