Optics - combination of lenses/mirrors

Started by dartmed
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dartmed

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know what happens when you have a converging/diverging system, but when it comes to combination of mirrors/lenses, I am lost. Are there any tricks as to when you add two more concave mirrors or convex lenses or a mirror and a lens?

If so, can someone please help me. My test is tomorrow- and this and thin-lens are things that I am just unsure of. Thanks!!!
 
I know what happens when you have a converging/diverging system, but when it comes to combination of mirrors/lenses, I am lost. Are there any tricks as to when you add two more concave mirrors or convex lenses or a mirror and a lens?

If so, can someone please help me. My test is tomorrow- and this and thin-lens are things that I am just unsure of. Thanks!!!

Multiple lens or mirror systems can get a bit complicated and are unlikely to be tested except for conceptually. However, if they are, just separate the first lens/mirror and look at it by itself and what image it creates. Then take that image as the object for the next lens/mirror to find the final image. I doubt there are any tricks because the first object could be within the focal length or outside of the focal length of a first lens/mirror and then the first image created could be within or outside of the focal length of the next lens/mirror. The only thing to keep in mind is that the image created by the first lens/mirror is the object for the next BUT the object distance for the second lens/mirro can now be negative depending on where the first image was created. This is a big exception as we have always leaned that object distances are positive. I hope that helps.
 
Just remember that there really aren't many multi-step problems on the MCAT. If there is a multi-optics problem, there is something you usually have to just notice.
For example, if a converging mirror sits in front of a flat mirror, the image distance (i) - the dist. between mirrors gives you the distance from the flat mirror of image formation.