Optimal timing for leveraging financial aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reanox24

Reaction score
Greetings everyone. I am fortunate to have 5 A's right now, one of those being an OOS A to UTSW. As you all may well know, an OOS A to UTSW comes with a $1k scholarship that qualifies me for in-state tuition (roughly $22k all said and done). This number is lower than all the other schools that I have been accepted to, and in a couple of cases, significantly lower (*coughs in $70k Tulane*). I would like to send some emails to financial aid offices at the other schools to see if I can get them to at least match my UTSW tuition.
Firstly, is this a bad idea?
Secondly, what would the optimal timing be for these emails? Now? March?
Lastly, a somewhat related question, but will going to a second look event increase the probability that I receive merit aid? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Greetings everyone. I am fortunate to have 5 A's right now, one of those being an OOS A to UTSW. As you all may well know, an OOS A to UTSW comes with a $1k scholarship that qualifies me for in-state tuition (roughly $22k all said and done). This number is lower than all the other schools that I have been accepted to, and in a couple of cases, significantly lower (*coughs in $70k Tulane*). I would like to send some emails to financial aid offices at the other schools to see if I can get them to at least match my UTSW tuition.
Firstly, is this a bad idea?
Secondly, what would the optimal timing be for these emails? Now? March?
Lastly, a somewhat related question, but will going to a second look event increase the probability that I receive merit aid? Thanks
Timing is important, but so is data. Schools have to justify giving you money so if you show your COA budget and how the amount will help you meet your budget if you went to their program, that helps you. The schools are also measuring if you are bluffing and would really jump to another program. In fact they would understand if you did jump for cost and debt purposes.

Reactions: 1 users