Option A vs Option B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

Option A stay at current university and continue to pursue chemistry degree with end goal of getting into med school vs transferring to another local university which offers more variety in majors like strongly considering pursuing exercise science major which is something I am into. Those kinds of majors are not offered at current. End goal is to get into med school. As of now in summer of 2nd year.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you complete your premed requirements (and maybe some research), it doesn't really matter. Think about what is cheaper, better location, convenient, your personal satisfaction, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably doesn't make too much difference in the long run, provided that you take rigorous courses at either Uni. Be aware that an Exercise Science major could provoke more scrutiny of your schedule to see if you took 'fluff' or substance...it has that sort of ring to it.

Personally, I wouldn't go through the hassle of transferring just to take a major that sounds less rigorous, but that's me. If it's something you're really into and you're aware that some people may not know/respect that major (and so you need to be cognizant of your course choices), then go for it.

I was an Exercise Science major in undergrad, there were a lot of classes in my major that actually helped me with some of the higher level bio classes I took in both undergrad and grad school. If you go to a school that focuses more on the physiology aspect it's actually a very applicable major towards medicine. I took a biochem class with med students during my masters and did very well. I felt like I was way more comfortable with concepts like cellular respiration, metabolic pathways etc than a lot of my friends who were straight bio majors. I also felt like I was way ahead of my classmates in functional anatomy. With all that said there are more factors to consider than just the major. Go where you think you will do best, feel most comfortable and which one is financially viable.

One thing to consider before transferring is how many of your credits transfer over. When I transferred I lost all my credits except for 2 English classes.

Your end goal is the same and can be accomplished at either university doing either major. If I were in your shoes I'd consider the non-medical aspects. Things that relate to each school like cost, intellectual stimulation, and credits transferring and then the intangibles such as fit and leaving your current friends.

If you are interested in the classes you're taking, you'll likely want to study and actually perform better. I'd say transfer. Though keep in mind that the core premed requirements are all essentially the same material that you may not have much passion about.

--
Il Destriero

Reactions: 1 user
We don't seem to be bothered by any type of major. We see a lot of Kinesiology majors.

My only concern is exercise science may be considered more of a vocational/health science major which is the one area of majors that you may want to shy away from. Perhaps The Gentleman from West of St. Louis @Goro or the The Grand Dame of SDN, @LizzyM would weigh in on this

I am an exercise science major and I enjoy the classes. It's filled with Pre PT students, but there are some pre meds like myself.

If you aced all your KH classes but did poorly on your Pre Req classes, then it can look bad. But it looks bad when you struggle on your Pre Reqs no matter what major you choose.

I was very successful in my Pre Req courses. I don't expect adcoms to prefer a biology major who struggled with the same Biology, Orgo. Physics, and Chemistry classes that I took just because they are a "Biology Major".

Person 1: He got a 521 on the MCAT and has a 4.0 GPA.
Person 2: Yeah but he as an (insert weak major) from (insert weak school)
Person 1: Oh your right. He probably just had it easy.
Person 2: There's this Biomedical Engineering major with a 3.3 GPA and a 507 MCAT from MIT.
Person 2: Now that's the kind of person we want.

^I am going to go with the assumption that this is not what happens.

Reactions: 1 user
Sweet, sounds like either option is going to be fairly equivalent as far as med school apps go!

So now, it's just up to whatever is worth it to you in terms of effort, logistics (do credits transfer), and enjoyment of your classes (which hey, can help immeasurably with gpa for some folks). Good luck!

Keeping in mind rigor of classes one has to take in their major like comparing classes one needs to take to get Chem which includes classes up to calc 3, pchem series, inorganic as compared to someone who does exercise science not having to take those classes. Also the prospects and value of each degree?

Keeping in mind rigor of classes one has to take in their major like comparing classes one needs to take to get Chem which includes classes up to calc 3, pchem series, inorganic as compared to someone who does exercise science not having to take those classes. Also the prospects and value of each degree?
Beyond some basic threshold, rigor doesn't seem to be that important for med admissions.

Beyond some basic threshold, rigor doesn't seem to be that important for med admissions.
Not talking about importance for med admissions but in general like in terms of having manageable workload, less stress, and end up with higher gpa.

Not talking about importance for med admissions but in general like in terms of having manageable workload, less stress, and end up with higher gpa.
Sorry, it was incredibly difficult to understand what you were trying to say in your post; I got confused and thought you meant the opposite.

Can you rephrase whatever you were trying to write here. I and I am sure many others do not know what you are trying to say.

Can you rephrase whatever you were trying to write here. I and I am sure many others do not know what you are trying to say.
I think they're just saying that it may be easier to get a good GPA in Exercise Science, which is something OP should keep in mind when making the decision. And also OP should factor in the job prospects for each major (I guess in case medicine doesn't work out?)