Optional essay for TMDSAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TamHLe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would anyone recommend adding more? There is the unique experience and the personal character essay. I was going to talk about my childhood of being raised in an asian community where we only spoke vietnamese and I did not fully grasp the language until third grade, and I was held back for it in first grade. At that point my english was better than my parents and they both worked from 8-9, 7 days a week so my rudiments for my education was very lacking. But i managed to work and was able to overcome that situation. (Oh, my parents pretty much relied on me to take care of any business problems and to this day I sill take care of it seeing that their english is still not very good.)
Would that be a unique experience?

Members don't see this ad.

"Optional Essay - Unique Experience Briefly discuss any unique circumstances or life experiences that are relevant to your application which have not previously been presented."

I remember you talking about your circumstances in another thread. If you haven't mentioned these ideas before, go ahead.

In your secondary application, you'll get to check a million boxes about being disadvantaged and there is an optional essay about overcoming adversity. You could talk about something else here, and save your childhood condition story for the adversity essay.

Caution: just a few stats for you. I think I remember you having an ok gpa (but I could be mistaken).
Baylor is gonna be your best bet stats-wise. However, only 4% of azn female applicants were enrolled, and 3% of azn males were. Find a story that will set you apart from them, because I'm sure many of them speak better English than their parents.

Last edited:
wait, what do you mean by secondary application? Is there one after tmdsas?

Secondary application is when the dental schools themselves send you prompts for you to fill out. It's like a continuation application for the dental schools. There are 2 optional essays for TMDSAS, I would suggest doing both along with your personal statement. Your experiences sound like mines, being Viet is hard huh. Well good luck on your application. If you have not yet, it is best to send in your application ASAP.