Optional Essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crown95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone left out the optional essay in their applications or if like me you were too scared to risk it.

Did you get interviews?

I’m wondering if they are truly optional because the Health Professions Committee scared everyone into writing the optional essay. Basically telling us that if we do not write it we won’t get their committee letter or support & that our applications would be tossed out be every school. I am noticing that some of the advice they offered was not the best (they are really only geared towards pre-meds, not any other health profession).

Edit:
I am not looking for advice on if I should or should not write it.
I am not trying to convince anyone if they should or should not write it.
I just want to know if the word optional truly means optional

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just curious if anyone left out the optional essay in their applications or if like me you were too scared to risk it.

Did you get interviews?

I’m wondering if they are truly optional because the Health Professions Committee scared everyone into writing the optional essay. Basically telling us that if we do not write it we won’t get their committee letter or support & that our applications would be tossed out be every school. I am noticing that some of the advice they offered was not the best (they are really only geared towards pre-meds, not any other health profession).
Ew, we have a pre-health program at my school that said the same thing. So annoying.

Did you get interviews?

Can you specify what optional essay you are talking about? I don't remember there being an optional essay on the AADSAS application. There's the personal statement which you must write and then for the school-specific sections there might be prompts like "Is there anything else the admissions committee should know about you that is not stated on your application?". These kinds of questions I think are okay to leave blank if you are only going to repeat things on your application. I did this where it made sense and I had no trouble getting interviews and acceptances.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you specify what optional essay you are talking about? I don't remember there being an optional essay on the AADSAS application. There's the personal statement which you must write and then for the school-specific sections there might be prompts like "Is there anything else the admissions committee should know about you that is not stated on your application?". These kinds of questions I think are okay to leave blank if you are only going to repeat things on your application. I did this where it made sense and I had no trouble getting interviews and acceptances.

Not sure how AADSAS works but TMDSAS has two required and one "optional" essay. Same with @Crown95 if I don't write the optional one I won't be getting a committee letter, my whole app is trash, and the entire world is done for.

Any reason why you would leave it empty? Is there really not that much about yourself to talk about?

I wish I had more spaces in my application.

If you'd like to keep yourself at a disadvantage while other students write and clarify more about their achievements, experiences, and desire for dental school, go ahead. It is your application. You don't need a committee letter for most schools. It is optional.

Reactions: 1 user
Any reason why you would leave it empty? Is there really not that much about yourself to talk about?

I wish I had more spaces in my application.

If you'd like to keep yourself at a disadvantage while other students write and clarify more about their achievements, experiences, and desire for dental school, go ahead. It is your application. You don't need a committee letter for most schools. It is optional.

To be clear, I am talking about how the committee basically said your app is trash if you don't write it. The way the committee conveyed the message personally put more pressure on me to "perfect" the essay and increased my overall anxiety during the application process. I am asking to see if anyone has done what the committee deems unworthy to see if it truly matters. I am not advocating the idea that you should or shouldn't write the essay thats a decision each person has to make for themselves. I just want to know if anyone has actually made it w/o the essay.

Just write a few paragraphs and get it done with. You could have written the optional essay by now instead you are wasting time here.

Just write a few paragraphs and get it done with. You could have written the optional essay by now instead you are wasting time here.

I already got accepted... C/O 2023...

I already got accepted... C/O 2023...

Congratulations.
I thought this question was for the upcoming cycle.

Well, my thought on this is that it's better to be safe than sorry and you played it safe and it worked.

Thank you :)

Also I see how my post was a bit misleading, I didn't include the information so that is my bad.