Optional Essays on Secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to fill out such optional essays, as the "Is there anything else you would like to tell us about..." type prompts. My personal statement contains three important personal experiences of mine (2 medical, one non-medical). I just don't know what might be appropriate to talk about here... Is speaking of family life and personal struggles too sensitive - I'm not thinking of including anything too deep, just more about my life, especially my family and upbringing since my PS does not have much of this and it's very important to me.

What do other people plan on talking about?

Thank you!

Pinky19

Members don't see this ad.

Im not filling out SLUs.....but if I did I would probably just talk about why I would be a good fit at the school.

I've wondered about those optional essays too. Are they truly optional or are they "optional"?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard they are more "optional". My advisors have told me it shows that you are willing to put in that extra bit of effort and it allows the admissions committe get to know more about you.

I think not filling these out is especially dangerous for people who did not really elaborate on their work/activites section. The admissions committes what to know who you are. The game is not just numbers so I think if they only contact that have with you is your numbers and a one page PS....

Your choice though :)

they are truly optional-- if you don't have anything else important to talk about, they don't want you filling up space. someone has to read these things and doesn't want to read what you wrote for the sake of filling lines. BUT if you have anything that you think would give them more insight into who you are as an applicant, why you're a good fit for their school, or just something you think they really need to know, then it can definitely help. There were some schools i chose not to fill out optional essays for because i didn't have much to say, and i still got interviews. Others i had a lot to talk about and chose to write them, and got interviews there too. just don't BS. they can see through it. For tufts' application, it asks if you have any ties to the school or any specific reason you want to be there or in the boston area. I just said no. Not only did i get an itnerview invite in august, but i was accepted by oct. 15th. Just be honest wtih them.

My advisor even said that if you feel you have nothing to put you should just talk about a hobby or something random that makes you "unique" ...

Not sure if this is a good idea or not, just what I heard...

Im not filling out SLUs.....but if I did I would probably just talk about why I would be a good fit at the school.

That is exactly what I talked about. If there isn't a "tell us why you want to go here" part, tell them why you want to go there. If there are a few extracurriculars you didn't feel were important enough to put on your Work/Activities section, put those down.

No such thing as optional IMO. If I was sitting on the admissions board, and an applicant had a chance to express more about himself/herself as an applicant and didn't write anything down, I might question his interest if not how motivated he/she is. It's like, well they said only 3 out of the 5 LORs sent are required... should I still send the 2 optoinal ones?

ofcourse you will send in the additional 2 letters.... unless you have a 45MCAT 4.0GPA and helped to re-attach lance armstrong's missing nut

and if that's the case, I don't think you need the "optional" essay.

I hated the "optional" essay...

my advice, to be taken with a grain of salt, don't write something if you're going to be wasting their time. Only write something that will actually add value to your file. Your job is to figure out what that something is. Don't just write a space-filler essay. (if you're going to do that you should probably leave it blank)

i didn't fill out SLU's last year. Of the schools that I declined the optional essay, that was my only acceptance. Caveat Lector, bitches.
I wasted the "why SLU" part on an update letter.

I second the suggestions to write a little bit about why you would be a fit for the school.

What I always did was to think about why I applied to the school in the first place.

-If they rock a specialty you like, talk about why you like that specialty, etc.
-If you love their location, work in how your hobbies or passions are supported by the area (outdoor environment, theatre, etc?).
-If you think their curriculum is amazing, tell them why it is particularly good for you.

Just figure out what you liked about the school, and then tell them that :)

ok dumb question, what are SLU's? optional portions of secondaries?

also, what do people think about the optional essays like "Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome that were not covered in your application about which you would like to inform our Admissions Committee? "

i feel like these truly are more "optional". I think my life has been fairly easy compared to many people's, and don't feel right writing an essay. Is that ok?

On all those optional essays... I'm just describing what I'm doing this summer. It's something new that I've never tried before and it influences my desire to become a doctor.

ohh lol. ok, thanks.

anyone got an opinion on the "did you have any special obstacles in your life" optional essay?

I pmed LizzyM and asked her if it was appropriate to list something down. She told me to only list down especially important ones... not just that, but show the adcoms how you have persevered/found ways around the obstacle. So I guess it has to be a pretty big deal. It shouldn't just be a "Hey, this happened to me" type thing... unless it's something extremely serious ofcourse

unless you have a 45MCAT 4.0GPA and helped to re-attach lance armstrong's missing nut

Quote of the freakin' year.

I pmed LizzyM and asked her if it was appropriate to list something down. She told me to only list down especially important ones... not just that, but show the adcoms how you have persevered/found ways around the obstacle. So I guess it has to be a pretty big deal. It shouldn't just be a "Hey, this happened to me" type thing... unless it's something extremely serious ofcourse

hmmm i guess i'll leave it blank! makes my life easier hehe :thumbup:

Any thoughts on using the optional essay to update the admissions committee on additional significant activities that was not mentioned in the primary application? For example, starting volunteer work at a clinic and homeless shelter.

Thanks!