options after termination?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emeth23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
of course no one wants to face the daunting task of seeking another program or job after termination, but for those residents who have been terminated or know someone that has been, what are the realistic options of finding another residency program to continue their training? unfortunately, medical school training doesn't allow us the option to work at star bucks and pay of a quarter of million in student loans!

Members don't see this ad.

of course no one wants to face the daunting task of seeking another program or job after termination, but for those residents who have been terminated or know someone that has been, what are the realistic options of finding another residency program to continue their training? unfortunately, medical school training doesn't allow us the option to work at star bucks and pay of a quarter of million in student loans!

You could always consider taking in foster children to help pay off some of those loans.

You can always try to reach a doctor in a country in distress, such as China or India with all the foster children​

Members don't see this ad :)
I would tell that person not to give up. I do know of someone who graduated from my medical school who was unlucky and unfortunate and ended up resigning from their residency program. Instead of going into a state of hiding, they quickly went back to the Match. And surprisingly, they managed to get several interviews. So, I guess if medicine is still what they want to do, they shouldn't let termination get the best of them. Good luck!!!

unfortunately, medical school training doesn't allow us the option to work at star bucks and pay of a quarter of million in student loans!

I actually know a terminated physician who had to do this for while. He was eventually able to find a job in which he is essentially doing the duties of a nurse practitioner.

I would imagine why that person was terminate would have a huge impact on future choices. For example, there is a substantial difference between being terminated for being violent toward a patient vs. missing multiple days for health related issues. It just depends on the circumstance and how well that person can spin it in a future application...I've known someone who was terminate for drug use, went to rehab and got sober, and came back into residency.

Emeth are you or do you know a dismissed resident? If you do, let me know