Options between 2nd and 3rd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am considering taking a year to either get an MPH or do a research year after I take the boards next year. I have a few questions...

Will I be at a dissadvantage in terms of knowledge if I take a year off? I know that facts are fleeting and a year off of all those clinical factoids may make them dissappear from my memory.

Does anyone know of any programs (research or MPH) geared towards international medicine?

How do EM programs view taking a research/MPH year?

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering taking a year to either get an MPH or do a research year after I take the boards next year. I have a few questions...

Will I be at a dissadvantage in terms of knowledge if I take a year off? I know that facts are fleeting and a year off of all those clinical factoids may make them dissappear from my memory.

Does anyone know of any programs (research or MPH) geared towards international medicine?

How do EM programs view taking a research/MPH year?

Most MPH programs have an international medicine track, but some of them are two years. I'm pretty sure that the one at Hopkins is still one year though. You'd have to check out individual programs - they are all different, so you'd need to get an idea of what suits you the most.

For research, you can apply for the Fogarty-Ellison fellowship (you can find it on the AAMC webpage), which is for research in other countries (mostly on infectious disease I think). You can also apply for the Doris Duke scholarships - most schools that have Doris Duke are now funding a few students to go to South Africa and do clinical research on HIV/AIDS. I'm not sure of the website, just google it.

You can get money from howard hughes if you have a good research proposal. You can also review for shelf exams during your year off to make sure you're on top of things come clinical rotations. If you review enough you'll be at an advantage actually, since you won't have to study as much as your classmates on your team and can work on your patients instead of reading books.