Options for dentistry

Started by Dan95
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dan95

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im in a complicated situation.
I took these following science pre reqs so far
Gen Chem 1: B in Lec
A in Lab
Gen Chem 2: B+ Lec
B- Lab
Bio 1: NC(Took it as a first semester freshman)
Bio 2: W first time
Calculus 1: C (Took it as a first semester freshman: WAS A HUGE ******* TO DO THAT)
(IM TAKING IT A SECOND TIME RIGHT NOW AND IM NOT DOING WELL. I KNOW THAT I HAVE TO TAKE Gen Physics, Organic Chem, Biochem, Cell Bio, Microbio). I WILL MOST LIKELY RETAKE BIO 2 again (a 3rd time). Im a Psychology major and I'm a sophomore. Do you recommend I go for a masters program, take the DAT and then apply for dental school?
 
Since we're talking grades....I'm also in the same boat, I'm a bit concerned because I'm finishing up my second year of undergrad, and have so far gotten only grades ranging from B-'s to B+'s in the prereq coures--
Gen Chem 1: B+
Gen Chem 2: B
Bio 1: B
Bio 2: B+
Orgo 1: B-
Orgo 2: The final is tomorrow, so I'm not 100% sure but realistically a B- or so

Do I still have a chance of getting into dental school? I'm in love with the profession and have 100+ shadowing hours and lots of volunteer work and EC's, being pretty involved both on and off campus. I'll be taking the DAT this September so I have the summer to study for it, and hope to apply next year during summer 2017.

I'm a psychology major so my overall GPA is still around a 3.5; it's just my science GPA and especially my BCP GPA (currently hovering around a 3.1) that is concerning me. If I take lots of upper level bio courses and do well in them, do I still have a chance? I also am signed up to take the physics sequence in the Fall 2016/Winter 2017. Any advice or input on what to do from here on out would be appreciated!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Likkriue Also my psych grades are well
Psych 101: B+
Psych 215: A+
(I'm taking Psych 107 statistics and Psych 214, i'll most likely get a B-, A-, respectively).