Options for General Practitioner who did not complete FM Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shahseh22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm asking for a family friend who did not complete her residency (only did 2 years,for a variety of reasons) but is now in her 50's and licensed in California but has a difficult time finding work as the place she was working has been bought out by a larger FQHC that prefers to employ NP's. Are there any options for someone like this to be employed somewhere where she can receive health benefits? I know that options would be limited for her as she cannot be BE/BC, but with the influx of NP's and PA's, I figure there has to be some opportunities where this individual can at least be supervised? She doesn't have the ability to go back into residency unfortunately. She's in the Greater Los Angeles area.

Thank in advance for any tips I can pass along to her.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I'm asking for a family friend who did not complete her residency (only did 2 years,for a variety of reasons) but is now in her 50's and licensed in California but has a difficult time finding work as the place she was working has been bought out by a larger FQHC that prefers to employ NP's. Are there any options for someone like this to be employed somewhere where she can receive health benefits? I know that options would be limited for her as she cannot be BE/BC, but with the influx of NP's and PA's, I figure there has to be some opportunities where this individual can at least be supervised? She doesn't have the ability to go back into residency unfortunately. She's in the Greater Los Angeles area.

Thank in advance for any tips I can pass along to her.
The only tip is one she is probably already aware of: move to an area that is hungrier for physicians. Costal SoCal is not exactly the most underserved community, Tell her to head north into the cornfields or east into the desert and she will probably be able to find a job.

Reactions: 6 users
Somewhere on here is a report from a guy who got into wound care. I think search for "California license"?