Options if I don't match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiaMia14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going to post in the Ob section, but it is kinda dead there. Obviously we are all in freakout mode having to wait for the match results and I am trying to at least come up with a SOAP strategy just in case. I am a DO student applying to Ob. I unfortunately didn't take USMLE so I applied to a ton of programs and ended up with 8 interviews but 2 were on the same day so I have 7 ranked programs. I had pretty good feedback from a bunch of the interviews but I am still worried being an average applicant. In my eyes I have a few options if I don't match (none of which actually include matching into Ob in the SOAP haha), and I'm wondering what would give me the best chance of matching next year if it comes to it:

1. Prelim surgery-probably the easiest to get in the SOAP but I'm afraid since these seem to be known as a "dead end". I have heard that some Ob programs like the prelim surgery applicants though as Ob is partly a surgical specialty.
2. Prelim IM-wouldn't be as relevant but also not as soul crushing.
3. DO rotating internship-you have to wait until after the SOAP to talk to TRI programs though which makes me nervous.

Any other options? I applied to DO programs this year and ended up not going through the DO match, but if I don't end up matching this year I know I won't be able to be choosy next year. What would make me most competitive reapplying?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
A clarification is in order for the Prelim Surgery: it is typically called a "dead end" for those looking to go into general surgery. The same may not be said for those going into other fields.

Reactions: 1 user