Options other than practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bandn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What other options are there for physicians other than practicing? I am just about to graduate with my MD, and am already sick of what medicine has become. While I look forward to residency and practice if I must, what else is there?

Members don't see this ad.

Please do a search of this forum as this question has been asked dozens of times.

In a nutshell, your options are:

- return to school for another degree (perhaps PhD, MPH, MBA) and pursue that career
- pharmaceutical company
- research

u could be a medical consultant.

There was a Law & Order episode, where that guy who used to be on Spin City was playing the defense attorney. At one point he's cross examining the prosecution's expert psychiatric witness. He questions one of her statements, and she says, "And what medical school did you go to?"

He smirks and says, "Harvard, actually, but that's beside the point."

I've always thought it might be cool to be able to say that. Maybe you could be a lawyer?

Please do a search of this forum as this question has been asked dozens of times.

In a nutshell, your options are:

- return to school for another degree (perhaps PhD, MPH, MBA) and pursue that career
- pharmaceutical company
- research

You forgot start up a business. That's what I did and I'm loving it.