Optomcas Credit Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neko82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm so confused over the credit hours section in Optomcas. I'm using my unofficial transcripts for this so it doesn't say what the credit hours are. I read some of the older posts but they don't seem to help..

Are we supposed to multiply the credit units to get the credit hours?

1 credit unit = 4 semester hours
So, a class that's 4 credit units in a semester system is 16 semester hours. And I'd put 16 as the credit hours?

So if it was on a quarter system, then we multiply by some other number?

Or not multiply anything and leave it the way it is?

Wahhh! Why do they have to make this so complicated.. :confused:

Any advices would be much appreciated!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm actually stuck on this too. My university is a quarter system so I thought the credit hours were the same as the term grade points but then I hit a problem when one of the grade points were 10.8 and there was only 10.75 available on Optomcas. haha So now I'm thinking it's just asking for the number of credits...Clarification from anyone would be nice. Thank you!

i just entered the number of units next to the transcript. im on a semester basis but i dont think u do the conversion. optomcas does it for u

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the optomcas site indicate when they've received a transcript from a school? I sent mine in, but havent seen anything yet, but I guess it's too early to tell...?

They may have received the transcript, but since it takes 7-10 business days for OptomCAS to process the transcript, it won't show up in your application status section until the processing is complete.

I noticed under "GPA calculations" there's an area for "Advanced Placement". Does this refer to AP courses from high school? If so, where would we input this information?

Also, they ask that we categorize each quarter/semester as Freshman/Soph/Jun/Sr. Using the credit ranges, do you count your AP credits? I noticed that if I count AP, I came into school as a sophomore and if I don't count AP I spend only 1 quarter as a senior (I completed undergrad in 3 years...not so clear cut what my status was at each step....)

Advice?