optomcas essay questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bio_student95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
besides the personal statement, what other topics/questions are you asked to write about? And are the topics same each year? I plan on applying next year but wanted to gather some info so I can prepare in advance.

“Please describe what inspires your decision for becoming an optometrist, including your preparation for training in this profession, your aptitude and motivation, the basis for your interest in optometry, and your future career goals. Your essay should be limited to 4500 characters.” Is this the same question each year?

Will there be additional questions, and different questions to answer depending on which schools I apply for? Or are they all the same since I will be applying through optomcas?

Members don't see this ad.

besides the personal statement, what other topics/questions are you asked to write about? And are the topics same each year? I plan on applying next year but wanted to gather some info so I can prepare in advance.

“Please describe what inspires your decision for becoming an optometrist, including your preparation for training in this profession, your aptitude and motivation, the basis for your interest in optometry, and your future career goals. Your essay should be limited to 4500 characters.” Is this the same question each year?

Will there be additional questions, and different questions to answer depending on which schools I apply for? Or are they all the same since I will be applying through optomcas?

It depends on the school. Each school has an area to type your personal statement on OptomCAS. Schools like UHCO, & NOVA have supplemental applications that require a second essay. MCPHS does not have a supplemental application, but they have several other questions that you must answer. I’m also applying this cycle since COVID-19 delayed everything.

It depends on the school. Each school has an area to type your personal statement on OptomCAS. Schools like UHCO, & NOVA have supplemental applications that require a second essay. MCPHS does not have a supplemental application, but they have several other questions that you must answer. I’m also applying this cycle since COVID-19 delayed everything.
How can I access these essay topics ahead of time? I plan on applying next July, but I need to start getting things ready so I don't stress out. And not all schools require an additional essay right?

Members don't see this ad :)
"COVID-19 Related Questions: The following COVID-19 related questions will be part of the OptomCAS application.

• Did your institution move to offering only an online curriculum during the COVID-19 crisis? If yes, what classes/labs were affected? Please include what semesters.
  • Did you have an opportunity to receive a letter grade for any of your courses taken during the COVID-19 crisis? If yes, please include courses.
  • How has the COVID-19 crisis impacted your pathway to optometry school through your academic, professional and personal life? How have you responded to these changes?"
They added these for this application cycle as well.

Reactions: 2 users
"COVID-19 Related Questions: The following COVID-19 related questions will be part of the OptomCAS application.

• Did your institution move to offering only an online curriculum during the COVID-19 crisis? If yes, what classes/labs were affected? Please include what semesters.
  • Did you have an opportunity to receive a letter grade for any of your courses taken during the COVID-19 crisis? If yes, please include courses.
  • How has the COVID-19 crisis impacted your pathway to optometry school through your academic, professional and personal life? How have you responded to these changes?"
They added these for this application cycle as well.
Will this be an ongoing question? I am applying July 2021

supposedly, its only for july 2020 cycle
Oh ok. The personal statement topic is same for all schools though, correct? How can I start preparing for my application ahead of time? I was looking to see if schools had additional essay topics available on the website but I could not find it. Do students just wait until the application cycle is open to write their essays/questions?

Oh ok. The personal statement topic is same for all schools though, correct? How can I start preparing for my application ahead of time? I was looking to see if schools had additional essay topics available on the website but I could not find it. Do students just wait until the application cycle is open to write their essays/questions?
Not all schools have additional questions, I know that OSU does not. The question for everyone is "Please describe what inspires your decision for becoming an optometrist, including your preparation for training in this profession, your aptitude and motivation, the basis for your interest in optometry, and your future career goals."

Not all schools have additional questions, I know that OSU does not. The question for everyone is "Please describe what inspires your decision for becoming an optometrist, including your preparation for training in this profession, your aptitude and motivation, the basis for your interest in optometry, and your future career goals."
Ok, thanks for clarifying. For the schools that do have additional questions though, can you access them ahead of time? Or do you have to wait until the application cycle opens in order to see it?

Ok, thanks for clarifying. For the schools that do have additional questions though, can you access them ahead of time? Or do you have to wait until the application cycle opens in order to see it?
I honestly don't know, the only school I'm applying to that seems to require something more than a payment for the secondary application is NOVA. All it says on their website is "Nova Southeastern University College of Optometry requires a secondary application. This application will be sent to the applicant via email upon notification from OptomCAS. The email will contain a link to access the secondary application on-line." Also Salus makes you do the CASPer test thing also. You'd probably have to reach out to the specific schools you're applying to.

Reactions: 1 user