OptomCAS, OAT scores, Application Deadlines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkpenguin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I know the OptomCAS system is new so not many people know much about it, but I was wondering if anyone knew if the different schools still have their own application deadlines?

Also, I plan on taking the OAT for the first time in mid-July before OptomCAS starts and I've read that you get your scores right after you take it--so would that be your final score (as in the one you would put on your application?) or just an estimate?

And if I register for the OAT 2 months in advance, would that be plenty of time?

Lastly, if you retake the OAT will schools be updated on your new score? I know they are on rolling admissions so if the new score is higher...it might be helpful.

Thanks!! (and sorry if these questions have already been asked before)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! :) I'll try and answer your questions to the best of my ability:

1. Different schools do have their own application deadlines, so be sure to check with the school's website or even call them to see what they're planning on doing.

2. The scores you get right after you take it are your scores! It's kinda scary, just brace yourself :p

3. Yes, that's plenty of time!

4. Yes, from what I know, if you retake the OAT, the scores will be sent to the schools. Here's a direct quote from the OAT Examinee guide from opted.org: "The results of the four most recent attempts are released on the official score report forwarded to the schools and colleges of optometry. In addition, for all examinees, the total number of attempts is listed."

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any more questions