OptomCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Malakornge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone had heard about the OptomCAS which is supposed to be a centralized application system where you only go through one online application for all of the 19 schools that are participating in it.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about: http://www.opted.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3516

Anyhow, I know every school has different days where they begin accepting applications, but from what I've researched a lot of them are going to start after July 15th, which is the day OptomCAS is supposed to launch. I know that SUNY is accepting Fall 2010 applications on 7/15/09 and SCCO and NECO are starting on 9/1/09, but I think Berkeley is accepting it a little earlier? I'm unsure of the exact date (sounds pretty bad doesn't it? haha).

My advisor always emphasizes that we should send in our applications as early as possible, which makes sense but with this new OptomCAS coming up I'm not sure how that would influence the applications. For example, if Berkeley were to be accepting their applications in May but the OptomCAS doesn't start working until July would it be a better idea to just send in a normal application there first or to just wait it out and use OptomCAS instead, since a month or two may not have a huge affect on acceptance?

Sorry for being so wordy. If anyone knows anything else about the OptomCAS I would love to hear more.

Members don't see this ad.

You're kidding right. Where was this when I filled out applications?! TWICE?!?! OooOO i'm mad.

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone had heard about the OptomCAS which is supposed to be a centralized application system where you only go through one online application for all of the 19 schools that are participating in it.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about: http://www.opted.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3516

Anyhow, I know every school has different days where they begin accepting applications, but from what I've researched a lot of them are going to start after July 15th, which is the day OptomCAS is supposed to launch. I know that SUNY is accepting Fall 2010 applications on 7/15/09 and SCCO and NECO are starting on 9/1/09, but I think Berkeley is accepting it a little earlier? I'm unsure of the exact date (sounds pretty bad doesn't it? haha).

My advisor always emphasizes that we should send in our applications as early as possible, which makes sense but with this new OptomCAS coming up I'm not sure how that would influence the applications. For example, if Berkeley were to be accepting their applications in May but the OptomCAS doesn't start working until July would it be a better idea to just send in a normal application there first or to just wait it out and use OptomCAS instead, since a month or two may not have a huge affect on acceptance?

Sorry for being so wordy. If anyone knows anything else about the OptomCAS I would love to hear more.

Ooh, yeah I can see your dilemma... I think your best bet for accurate info would be to call the schools. I BET that they won't start sooner than when the OptomCAS is up and running, because they probably won't want to deal with a bunch of different kinds of applications.

This past year, UCBSO didn't start accepting applications until September, so it seems odd that they would move it up 4 months in a year (but who knows). Also, UCBSO hasn't had rolling admissions for the past however many years, so they probably won't next year either (meaning the time you send you application in doesn't matter, as long as its on time).

Members don't see this ad :)
You're kidding right. Where was this when I filled out applications?! TWICE?!?! OooOO i'm mad.

Yeah I can sense your frustration there, I was feeling that way when my pre-dental friends told me about their application process and how they and other fields (pre-med, pre-pharm, pre-vet) all had this central app. Then I googled and found that they were finally switching over. Although it seems like a great idea, I'm worried that this is first year is like a trial run and so many things will go wrong, haha. <crossing fingers>

I'm not sure whether or not UCBSO was going to start in May or not, I wasn't sure of the exact date. I was just making up an example, but you make a good point Blysssful that schools probably won't want to deal with different apps.

Berkeley does not open their applications in may, usually August. However, in regards to your question, Berkeley will start accepting applications when OPTOMCAS opens up, which is July 15, 2009. There is no way to submit paper applications because the schools are no longer doing that--everything is now centralized. The only way that may be possible is if you already applied through OPTOMCAS and the school requires supplimental essays/info from you, and they allow paper submissions.

Hmm I'm wondering what will happen to those that have already submitted paper letters of rec already for the next cycle :( Would OptomCAS not let applicants submit their app if the online LOR requirement isn't fulfilled? If anyone has any idea, please let me know! Thanks :)

you already sent them in? I know they allow paper LORs but you have to let them know who you chose to write those. It is explained a bit on their website, but I am not sure about you already sending them. Isn't it a bit too early since the applications haven't even opened?

No not really. Some schools keep them in your file for up to 3 years, so it just depends on your school

I was told, if you applied this year(2008/2009) and with the new optomcasts being released soon, all current information you sent, LORs, and transcripts will be trashed.

Hence, you will have to resend everything over again. I can't imagine asking my professors and doctors to write up another set of lors. They would do it but it would look so irresponsible on my part to ask again.

Don't get your hopes up too high for a completely centralized application process. We had an announcement in class today (at PUCO) about this system and they told us that if our friends are asking about it to let them know some things. They told us that Pacific (and also several other schools, the admin lady at Pacific didn't mention any specific schools outside of PUCO) will still require extra essays and other info to be sent in separately from the OptomCAS system so they can "get to know their future students better".

So just a heads up. Even though there will be a centralized application process now, there will still be extra info/essays that need to be sent in separately! Seems kind of goofy to me I know, but each school wants different things out of their students, and they can't find that out with generalized essays/questions. Anyways, hopes that sheds some light. And remember, this isn't all schools, but some schools will require this, PUCO being one of them.

Don't get your hopes up too high for a completely centralized application process. We had an announcement in class today (at PUCO) about this system and they told us that if our friends are asking about it to let them know some things. They told us that Pacific (and also several other schools, the admin lady at Pacific didn't mention any specific schools outside of PUCO) will still require extra essays and other info to be sent in separately from the OptomCAS system so they can "get to know their future students better".

So just a heads up. Even though there will be a centralized application process now, there will still be extra info/essays that need to be sent in separately! Seems kind of goofy to me I know, but each school wants different things out of their students, and they can't find that out with generalized essays/questions. Anyways, hopes that sheds some light. And remember, this isn't all schools, but some schools will require this, PUCO being one of them.

this is true, several schools will ask for more info. I think ICO is one of them.

No not really. Some schools keep them in your file for up to 3 years, so it just depends on your school

does that mean you are reapplying? I have no idea what they are doing with reapplications. That's gunna be tough and confusing. I would contact the schools, if you are reapplying, to see what they will be doing in that case.

Oh no I'm not reapplying, just sent my LORs way too early, in hopes of being on top of things, and I got totally screwed over lol :p Now I just have to have my profs send them in through the Optomcas system. Oh wellll

Oh no I'm not reapplying, just sent my LORs way too early, in hopes of being on top of things, and I got totally screwed over lol :p Now I just have to have my profs send them in through the Optomcas system. Oh wellll
most of them keep a copy in case it gets lost in the mail, etc. ... so i guess you can just explain to them how things changed and they can just reprint or copy paste onto the new electronic website they have to submit it to. Im sure you will be fine

lol for sure. That's totally what I'm going to do :) Thanks for looking out!