optometrist shot with gun

Started by drbizzaro
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drbizzaro

Varilux/Essilor Advocate
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
do any of you guys remember that incident where this weird person goes into an optometrists office and shoots him with a gun? I read it in one of the optometry journals, but i forget which one... i'll have to dig it up again...

the incident was bizzare because there was no motive at all
 
drbizzaro said:
do any of you guys remember that incident where this weird person goes into an optometrists office and shoots him with a gun? I read it in one of the optometry journals, but i forget which one... i'll have to dig it up again...

the incident was bizzare because there was no motive at all

Maybe he got a bad pair of contacts
 
Yea, I remember that. The shooter came into the office as an emergency patient and said he got something in his eye. When the receptionist asked which eye, the guy could not remember. So she showed him to an exam room and then told the doctor that there was something weird about the patient. When the doc enter the room, he recognized the shooter. The shooter was an OD from a neighboring city. They knew each other from local meetings and CE. They never got together outside these settings, nor where they in direct competition. After the doc asked what he can help with, the shooter pulled out a gun and shoot the doc in the head! They fought for the gun and another shoot went right past the doc's head and entered the ceiling. The doc got the gun and ran out the door. The receptionist shut the door and they locked him in the room until the police came. When the cops entered the room, the shooter reached for something and the cops shoot him, he died. They still don't know why the OD did it. As I said, they weren't in competition really. I would imagine the victim knows the reason, but just doesn't want to say. If I were to guess, I think the victim told patients that the shooter was not very good or something like that and it got back to him. That is just my guess.

When I read this, I ran to our anatomy prof and told her about it. On all our test, there was always at least one question about being shot somewhere and we would have to know everything that would be hit by the path of the bullet. When I told her where in the head the doc was shoot, she said, "I bet he lived." She was right, Dr T is always right.

Crazy story, huh?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
rpames said:
I would imagine the victim knows the reason, but just doesn't want to say. If I were to guess, I think the victim told patients that the shooter was not very good or something like that and it got back to him. That is just my guess.
I don't think it is appropriate to guess on the reason without all the facts, and I especially don't think it's fair to put forth a theory where the victim is to blame without any evidence.
 
rpames said:
Yea, I remember that. The shooter came into the office as an emergency patient and said he got something in his eye. When the receptionist asked which eye, the guy could not remember. So she showed him to an exam room and then told the doctor that there was something weird about the patient. When the doc enter the room, he recognized the shooter. The shooter was an OD from a neighboring city. They knew each other from local meetings and CE. They never got together outside these settings, nor where they in direct competition. After the doc asked what he can help with, the shooter pulled out a gun and shoot the doc in the head! They fought for the gun and another shoot went right past the doc's head and entered the ceiling. The doc got the gun and ran out the door. The receptionist shut the door and they locked him in the room until the police came. When the cops entered the room, the shooter reached for something and the cops shoot him, he died. They still don't know why the OD did it. As I said, they weren't in competition really. I would imagine the victim knows the reason, but just doesn't want to say. If I were to guess, I think the victim told patients that the shooter was not very good or something like that and it got back to him. That is just my guess.

When I read this, I ran to our anatomy prof and told her about it. On all our test, there was always at least one question about being shot somewhere and we would have to know everything that would be hit by the path of the bullet. When I told her where in the head the doc was shoot, she said, "I bet he lived." She was right, Dr T is always right.

Crazy story, huh?

that's awesome... your professor put the scenario in all her tests?
 
rpames said:
When I read this, I ran to our anatomy prof and told her about it. On all our test, there was always at least one question about being shot somewhere and we would have to know everything that would be hit by the path of the bullet. When I told her where in the head the doc was shoot, she said, "I bet he lived." She was right, Dr T is always right.

Crazy story, huh?

well in the news usually we hear about "so and so broke up with him, and now he went and killed her".... even recently, a NOVA student (someone here posted it a few days ago) was shot... this girl broke up with her boyfriend and then he shot her and killed himself...

... i'm guessing it's usually because of a lover who was between two people... just based on stats and seeing the usual news...
 
rpames said:
When I read this, I ran to our anatomy prof and told her about it. On all our test, there was always at least one question about being shot somewhere and we would have to know everything that would be hit by the path of the bullet. When I told her where in the head the doc was shoot, she said, "I bet he lived." She was right, Dr T is always right.

Crazy story, huh?

your professor sounds crazy for shizzle
 
Ben Chudner said:
I don't think it is appropriate to guess on the reason without all the facts, and I especially don't think it's fair to put forth a theory where the victim is to blame without any evidence.

I never said the victim was to blame. Even if the victim published an ad in the paper saying the other guy was an idiot, that does not make it ok to shoot him. What I'm saying is, it would be pretty unusual for someone to just pick someone out the blue. A completely random shooting from a crazy guy is one thing, but these people knew each other a little. There most likely had to be some reason he picked this guy. I think it would be pretty rare that one day a guy would think, "I want to kill someone. I'll pick this person, who I know, but don't have any negative feelings for, and I'll go get him."

In a nut shell, there had to be some connection/reason. But if I offended anyone, I'm sorry.
 
rpames said:
a guy would think, "I want to kill someone. I'll pick this person, who I know, but don't have any negative feelings for, and I'll go get him."

In a nut shell, there had to be some connection/reason.

i agree with you 100%