You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Optometrist to Opthamolgist
Started by cdea
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
totally different type of schooling. U have to start all over again.cdea said:Is that spelled right? What does it take to go from optometrist to an opthamologist? or is that a totally different type of schooling.
This is the sequence you would have to go through.
4 years Undergrad--> 4 years optometry school-->4 Years medical school-->3-5years residency.
Basically you have to go to medical school and complete a residency to be an ophthalmologist. You can not go to optometry school and then skip past medical school.
They are two different paths.
4 years Undergrad--> 4 years optometry school-->4 Years medical school-->3-5years residency.
Basically you have to go to medical school and complete a residency to be an ophthalmologist. You can not go to optometry school and then skip past medical school.
They are two different paths.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
rpames said:This is the sequence you would have to go through.
4 years Undergrad--> 4 years optometry school-->4 Years medical school-->3-5years residency.
Basically you have to go to medical school and complete a residency to be an ophthalmologist. You can not go to optometry school and then skip past medical school.
They are two different paths.
However, some med schools have an independent study program that you may be admited to because of your OD background. An OD friend of mine just got into one in PA, I'm not sure of the exact details, but could ask if anyone really wants to know.
Just to clarify, you're talking about Pennsylvania, and not physician's assisting, right?PLPrincess said:However, some med schools have an independent study program that you may be admited to because of your OD background. An OD friend of mine just got into one in PA, I'm not sure of the exact details, but could ask if anyone really wants to know.
PLPrincess said:However, some med schools have an independent study program that you may be admited to because of your OD background. An OD friend of mine just got into one in PA, I'm not sure of the exact details, but could ask if anyone really wants to know.
Do you know where to find a listing of these advanced standing programs?
aphistis said:Just to clarify, you're talking about Pennsylvania, and not physician's assisting, right?
Not sure which school, but def. a med school in Pennsylvania and she's def. in the MD program.
rpames said:Do you know where to find a listing of these advanced standing programs?
No, sorry. I'll ask her when I see her on Monday if you'd like. I'm not sure if it's advanced standing exactly, from what she said it sounded more like she can do independent study in SOME of her courses because she went to OD school and practiced for a couple of years.
I'm curious of the details of her situation, and how her program is designed.PLPrincess said:No, sorry. I'll ask her when I see her on Monday if you'd like. I'm not sure if it's advanced standing exactly, from what she said it sounded more like she can do independent study in SOME of her courses because she went to OD school and practiced for a couple of years.
jchod said:I'm curious of the details of her situation, and how her program is designed.
Any updates? Im interested . . .
Aphistis, you sure get around don'tcha? This is my first time over here in eyeball-land.aphistis said:Just to clarify, you're talking about Pennsylvania, and not physician's assisting, right?
Well, it's not like there's anything else to do during the DS2 year, right? 😉toofache32 said:Aphistis, you sure get around don'tcha? This is my first time over here in eyeball-land.
Obviously not a gunner. But you'll have a better life than me during those years.aphistis said:Well, it's not like there's anything else to do during the DS2 year, right? 😉
That's it, I'm coming over to Toothland... watch out. 😉aphistis said:Well, it's not like there's anything else to do during the DS2 year, right? 😉
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 5K