Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all! I've read many threads similar to this and they all seem to be focused on whether or not optometrists have the right to practice surgeries. I have no interest in surgery whatsoever so that is out of the question for me.
My main concern is what is the lifestyle of each respective profession like? I am a pre-optometry student who values family life. How busy are optometrists compared to ophthalmologists (i.e. work hours)? Would I be able to have a family by my late 20s early/30s and be there for my future children? How often would I expected to be "on-call"? Aside from ophthalmologists having more schooling, performing major surgeries, having a higher income, are there any other distinctions between the two professions?
Thanks!
My main concern is what is the lifestyle of each respective profession like? I am a pre-optometry student who values family life. How busy are optometrists compared to ophthalmologists (i.e. work hours)? Would I be able to have a family by my late 20s early/30s and be there for my future children? How often would I expected to be "on-call"? Aside from ophthalmologists having more schooling, performing major surgeries, having a higher income, are there any other distinctions between the two professions?
Thanks!