optometrists are involved with the community?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mupreopt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read in many places that optometrists are involved with the community. In what ways?

Members don't see this ad.

dude you have started like 15 thread on here alone.

I know. I'm used to being on other message boards that are very active and people are constantly posting every few minutes. So I tend to post alot (and also for the other reason that I've explained). Things are much slower here.

Members don't see this ad :)
possibly because people on here have lives and don't sit around and worry all day long.

Local School Board , Coaching Youth Atheletics ,Religious group activities, Town Business Associations, throw a bar-b-cue on 4th of July etc. etc. etc. As an Optometrist it would make sense to be plugged into your community as much as possible and become well known by your neighbors = patients :rolleyes:

possibly because people on here have lives and don't sit around and worry all day long.

So true. Mupreopt, you really need to find something to do to relax. I'm a little concerned with the amount of worrying you do. And if you're worried about some of the things you've posted on this site, I can only imagine how bad it gets when stuff happens that you should really worry about. I would advise a healthy dose of EtOH, sig: i drink q15min PO x 4-5 hours. Then drink some water and go to bed.

Relax? I am relaxed. None of my recent posts have been the "worried" type of posts. I have not been worried for the past few days. I would like to make posts here without a negative reply to each and every thing I post. I have every right to posts here without the negativity.

I don't think everything has negative responses, it is just that every question that pops into your head, you make a thread about! Personally, I think one gets more out of researching and looking things up yourself. This thread in particular...of course optometrists can be involved in the community. Anyone can be involved in the community. Are all involved in the community, no. I think SDN is more useful if you ask questions that a google search cannot answer such as personal experiences.

I think one gets more out of researching and looking things up yourself.

I think SDN is more useful if you ask questions that a google search cannot answer such as personal experiences.

I, in fact, do research before asking. I always do looks things up first. That is the reason why I asked. For example, this post. I always read about optometrists being involved in the community but they never gave examples. I looked it up but no answers.
I'm not the type of person who don't do research before asking.

I'm used to being on other message boards that are very active and people are constantly posting every few minutes. So I tend to post alot (and also for the other reason that I've explained). Things are much slower here.

i think not. what forums are you talking about? are they even optometry forums? the only other forum that's comparable to SDN's member involvement is ODwire, and the topics posted there are largely irrelevant to the types of questions you're asking here. i don't see why you feel obligated to post naive questions like "what kind of jobs can I get as an undergraduate", among many others, just so you could increase the traffic. reading your posts is simply irritating. i almost feel sorry for those who reply sincerely to answer your questions. do us a favor and don't become an optometrist, pretty please. :thumbdown:

pienfoo, I don't post just to increase traffic.

My questions are sincere. They are not naive questions.

I have questions and I'll ask it if I want.

I belong to a photography forum and 99% of the members are photographers. I am mostly a lurker there and people asks questions all the time and everyone there supports each other, give advice, and they are like family. There are no one posting anything negative or getting irritated. I would hate for them to be a member on here. They would get strike down for sure by you guys. No one there is like "well you should do a simple google search before asking!".

We as a community of pre-optometry students, optometry students, and optometrists should really support each other.

Let loose a little, don't be so uptight.

pienfoo, I don't post just to increase traffic.

My questions are sincere. They are not naive questions.

I have questions and I'll ask it if I want.

I belong to a photography forum and 99% of the members are photographers. I am mostly a lurker there and people asks questions all the time and everyone there supports each other, give advice, and they are like family. There are no one posting anything negative or getting irritated. I would hate for them to be a member on here. They would get strike down for sure by you guys. No one there is like "well you should do a simple google search before asking!".

We as a community of pre-optometry students, optometry students, and optometrists should really support each other.

Let loose a little, don't be so uptight.

:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
well thats probably because the 'photographers' are mostly tree huggers and it sounds as though they are on the computer way too much.

don't get me wrong, i think its great that you are seeking information and questions about optometry, as i am the same. i am a 21 year old junior undergrad and if i were in your position at 24, i would be crapping my pants as well - but not taking it out on forums.

the questions you ask are are either: clearly EASY to research, as you say you attempt to research but i dont know what method you are using but obviously your skills need to be sharpened. OR they are questions that are mostly opinions or own possible beliefs that only YOU can answer. EVERYTHING in this life is pretty much if you put a lot into it, you get a lot out, and vice versa.

and whoever posted that it is irritating seeing you overwhelm the forum, i would have to agree. I am not a negative person, but i would like to see some legitimite information and posts on here, not the thoughts and life of mupreopt. good luck in your searches but lets please, please, please (for the love of SDN and the people who view the optometry forums) keep things a little more under control and pre-professional/informational on here! and you are the man mupreopt, please take that lightly.

the end.

Keep photography out? Makes no sense. The other poster asked "what forum?" so I was simply answering his question.

Make one large post? Do you know how large that will be? Makes more sense to break it up into smaller more manageable posts. If the one post was huge, I don't know anyone who would have the time or patients to read throught the entire thing. That's why I have multiple posts over several days.

Mu, just a suggestion why not stay in the preopt forum, create your own thread..... "All questions from Mupreopt".....the questions your asking are questions that all us interested in Optometry had at some point, but found the answers without the need to go on a blitzkrieg campaign of question posts on SDN. Not trying to be rude to you... but post after post of very elementary questions can be pretty annoying even for those with patience.....you have the right to ask what you want, but should be considerate of others on this forum. Developing some tact is going to be important no matter what career you choose.

:oops:

Lately I come on SDN just to read mupreopt's posts...it gives me something to laugh at. I'm very easy going and always willing to sincerely help people, but mupreopt, you seriously have no idea what's going on in life. Have you talked to an admissions counselor yet? Will schools even offer you an interview considering you failed (or withdrew) from a class 4 times, have never had a job, never shadowed, etc???

Will schools even offer you an interview considering you failed (or withdrew) from a class 4 times, have never had a job, never shadowed, etc???

- 3 times. I just passed organic 1 in an independent study course! yay!

- the last time I talked to an admissions counselor, they only give the same answer. The bascally said that they don't just consider grades. They consider other things as well such as OAT scores, activities, etc.

- I really can't let my grades, inexperience worry me right now because that will just drag me down further. All I can do is try to improve. Yes I will have a harder time getting interviewed. I am going to find a job this semester so that I can pay for my organic 2 ($780 minus financial aid = about $400 to $500) plus a car and get back to school full time in fall 2008. I am using this semester and summer to get my stuff together and improve. I was looking over my transcript and my grades doesn't look as bad as I thought and from reading past posts, people who did not so well still got in. So I'm optimistic. I have many more biology or chemistry classes to go before graduation so hopefully that will bring my GPA up. I will be doing my shadowing after getting a car (unless I can resolve the transportation conflict sooner).

you seriously have no idea what's going on in life.

- I have personal/private reasons for that and I don't want to discuss it at this time.

I feel the same way. I love/hate reading your msgs. Makes me laugh too sometimes. Alrighty, no one shall bash toi. Just ask the moderators to bump your questions to pre-optometry bc these are concerns that pre-opt students have.

Just ask the moderators to bump your questions to pre-optometry bc these are concerns that pre-opt students have.

Oh. sorry. I didn't know. I just posted under optometry rather than pre-optometry because my questions were for current optometry students. If you guys visit the pre-opt forum, then I'll start posting there.

I guess I'll just say it. I don't want to get too personal about myself but it will explain some things. I believe I have social anxiety disorder. I am very quite. I've been quiete my entire life. I've read personal description of people with social anxiety disorder and their situation describes me 99%. I can't start conversations (except for around my family) because I don't have anything to talk about and it will end up in awkward silence. I don't have friends. Therefore some of the questions you see is because I don't have anyone to ask.

mod, you'll most likely read this since you're the mod. If you wish, bump all my posts to "pre-optmetry".

I believe I have social anxiety disorder. I am very quite. I've been quiete my entire life. I've read personal description of people with social anxiety disorder and their situation describes me 99%. I can't start conversations (except for around my family) because I don't have anything to talk about and it will end up in awkward silence. I don't have friends. Therefore some of the questions you see is because I don't have anyone to ask.

Optometrists are very social people. I recommend you seek help before applying to optometry school. A good self-help book you should check out is The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne.