Optometrists going into Ophthalmology?

Started by Gigi0104
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gigi0104

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am curious to know what is the percentage of Optometrists that decide to pursue an MD and specialize in Ophthalmology. Does anybody know?
 
I can't imagine many people do that. Voluntarily going through college, 4 years of OD school, 4 years of med school plus however many years of residency?
 
It happens. It's very rare though.

I'll venture to guess maybe 1-2 every year on earth.

I have heard of an OD who went back to medical school, but did not match into ophthalmology (though she tried to). I'm not sure what she ended up doing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know several, and interestingly they are some of the highest regarded surgeons out there.

I'd guess maybe around 1%.
 
I know several, and interestingly they are some of the highest regarded surgeons out there.

I'd guess maybe around 1%.

I could actually see that. I wonder, if having already had much of the clinical training that MDs must go through during residency, whether that gives former ODs more time to focus on their surgical skills.
 
My estimate might be a little low, but 1% seems high.

That would be like ~15 students a year, which would mean about 450 in active practice around the country (and basically one student out of pretty much every OD graduating class at every school, every single year). I think that's a little high.
 
Last edited:
My estimate might be a little low, but 1% seems high.

That would be like ~15 students a year, which would mean about 450 in active practice around the country (and basically one student out of pretty much every OD graduating class at every school, every single year). I think that's a little high. I don't actually know of any in at least 10 years at UW.
That is an extraordinarily high estimate... maybe one a year total across North America.
 
I could actually see that. I wonder, if having already had much of the clinical training that MDs must go through during residency, whether that gives former ODs more time to focus on their surgical skills.

So VA H, have you decided what you will specialize in? Are you considering ophthalmology?
 
Nah, I'd pretty much decided against ophtho by the time I started med school. Looking more like family medicine these days.


Good for you, being in the trenches! IMO family docs are the truest "physicians" Us optometrists welcome you to the ranks of the frequently overlooked and underpaid.