optometrists "on the clock"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doogy16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it typical for associate optometrists to have to log in and out on a time clock for a job when they aren't paid hourly (job pays a flat daily rate with some productivity bonuses)? i'd never seen another optometrist have to do this in any of my rotations but maybe this is common for new associates?

Members don't see this ad.

is it typical for associate optometrists to have to log in and out on a time clock for a job when they aren't paid hourly (job pays a flat daily rate with some productivity bonuses)? i'd never seen another optometrist have to do this in any of my rotations but maybe this is common for new associates?

I've never seen it either. If the practice has some sort of payroll system that's automatic, it's conceivable that even if they are being paid a flat rate per day, that the system requires that they "punch in" for at least one minute.

But again, I've never seen it.

If you are the employee, it's at the discretion of your boss.
I've seen commerical locations where the OD punches in like the rest of the store employees. Usually it's to alert the payroll dept what days they were in the office, not to calculate pay.

It is possible if you've contracted to cover a certain time period, that they want proof you stayed until closing.