Optometry admission at Waterloo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sara777

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone:
I am a first year masters student and i'm thinking of applying to optometry school in a year. Before writing the OAT test I want to see if you guys think i actually have a chance. My undergrad GPA is not too high. I did really bad in my first year of university and it is dragging my GPA down to 3.57. I am planning to start shadowing an optometrist soon and I have volunteered at a hospital for 2 years in the past and i'll for sure publish something before i graduate from my masters program.
How do you guys see my chances of getting in? I'm just really concerned about my GPA. The other thing that concerns me is that I did not take full load courses during my undergrad. I was a full time student but i did not take full load courses. How do you think this would effect my chance of getting in? Is there a positive point for me because I have a graduate degree?
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Waterloo really stresses the full course load requirement. I think your best bet would be to call and talk to someone in admissions at Waterloo about your specific case.

Reactions: 1 user
Waterloo really stresses the full course load requirement. I think your best bet would be to call and talk to someone in admissions at Waterloo about your specific case.
thank you for your response. What do you think about my GPA though?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are open to applying to American optometry schools, you would be very competitive

thank you for your response. What do you think about my GPA though?
According to the stats posted on the website, the lowest average that they accepted in the past is ~80% which I think is a 3.7 (check to be sure). What would be your numerical average?
I'm applying this year, so this is just based off what I know. I encourage you to call in and ask, or ask one of the current students.

According to the stats posted on the website, the lowest average that they accepted in the past is ~80% which I think is a 3.7 (check to be sure). What would be your numerical average?
I'm applying this year, so this is just based off what I know. I encourage you to call in and ask, or ask one of the current students.

To clarify, the range of averages that they have accepted in the past has been 79%-95%. Last year's average GPA of admitted applicants was 87% (really high lol)

To clarify, the range of averages that they have accepted in the past has been 79%-95%. Last year's average GPA of admitted applicants was 87% (really high lol)

But don't let that scare anyone, it still means that a lot of applicants below 87% got admitted and there were also probably some that had around 95% , holding the average up.

My GPA is actually 3.595 not 3.58. So my average is 79%.

I have a C+ in my first year and it is dragging my GPA down. What if i retake the course? do they take the average?

I have a C+ in my first year and it is dragging my GPA down. What if i retake the course? do they take the average?
Yes, they take the average.
upload_2016-3-26_12-1-0.png

https://uwaterloo.ca/optometry-vision-science/future-optometry-students/frequently-asked-questions

Hi everyone:
I am a first year masters student and i'm thinking of applying to optometry school in a year. Before writing the OAT test I want to see if you guys think i actually have a chance. My undergrad GPA is not too high. I did really bad in my first year of university and it is dragging my GPA down to 3.57. I am planning to start shadowing an optometrist soon and I have volunteered at a hospital for 2 years in the past and i'll for sure publish something before i graduate from my masters program.
How do you guys see my chances of getting in? I'm just really concerned about my GPA. The other thing that concerns me is that I did not take full load courses during my undergrad. I was a full time student but i did not take full load courses. How do you think this would effect my chance of getting in? Is there a positive point for me because I have a graduate degree?
Thanks in advance

Hi, I was just wondering what exactly is covered on the Canadian OAT. I know it says Natural Sciences, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Physics and such. But would Microbiology and Biochemistry be covered on it ? Also since only one Organic chemistry (261) is needed, is that the only one on the exam?

PS: If you are from Canada, do you know if the OAT exams are available in the summer, or around which months? Thanks so much!!