Optometry Among Top 50 Best Careers in 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opto2be

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is according to US News: http://www.usnews.com/money/careers/articles/2009/12/28/optometrist-2.html

Also, BLS describes job opportunities to be excellent for optometrists in their latest handbook, despite the presence of the new schools: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos073.htm

These reports seem to contradict the consensus among many optometrists here that the field is saturated and job opportunities are increasingly difficult. I'm not sure what to make of this discrepancy in perspectives.

Members don't see this ad.

This is according to US News: http://www.usnews.com/money/careers/articles/2009/12/28/optometrist-2.html

Also, BLS describes job opportunities to be excellent for optometrists in their latest handbook, despite the presence of the new schools: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos073.htm

These reports seem to contradict the consensus among many optometrists here that the field is saturated and job opportunities are increasingly difficult. I'm not sure what to make of this discrepancy in perspectives.

I would say a few things about this article. Optometry is a good profession in which you can make a relatively good living in a relatively low stress environment. These are the problems with it:

1) The notion of an aging population being some kind of optometric boom is just a complete non starter. These baby boomers have been in the system for years. They've all been presbyopic for 25 years now. There is nothing about the aging population that is going to result in any significant INCREASE in demand for optometric services.

2) The article points out specifically another problem. Technology has allowed eye care providers to see a lot more patients. One doctor can more than adequately take care of the same number of patients today that would have required 2 doctors 20 years ago.

3) It is not hard to find "work." You can always find a "job" working in some dump, or in some optical etc. etc. and make a few bucks. You'll never starve. You won't eat of a dumpster. You won't default on your student loans. But the number of "quality" positions in professional environments that could lead to some sort of ownership stake in a practice are harder and harder to come by.

I would say a few things about this article. Optometry is a good profession in which you can make a relatively good living in a relatively low stress environment. These are the problems with it:

1) The notion of an aging population being some kind of optometric boom is just a complete non starter. These baby boomers have been in the system for years. They've all been presbyopic for 25 years now. There is nothing about the aging population that is going to result in any significant INCREASE in demand for optometric services.

2) The article points out specifically another problem. Technology has allowed eye care providers to see a lot more patients. One doctor can more than adequately take care of the same number of patients today that would have required 2 doctors 20 years ago.

3) It is not hard to find "work." You can always find a "job" working in some dump, or in some optical etc. etc. and make a few bucks. You'll never starve. You won't eat of a dumpster. You won't default on your student loans. But the number of "quality" positions in professional environments that could lead to some sort of ownership stake in a practice are harder and harder to come by.

I agree with all these points. Most of the aging population will benefit OMD's more than OD's. You can watch AMD, diabetes, glaucoma, but some patients will still want an OMD b/c of the ability to laser, or inject drugs. Selling them glasses is nice, but a lot of money is involved in additional testing.

I agree you will not starve in Optometry, but stay out of any state with an OD school. Especially stay out of any city with an OD school if you want to prosper.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you mind expanding on this a bit more?

The job market in a state with an OD school is very competitive, and brutal. A city with an OD school is even harder to find a solid career job. These are are already super saturated with OD's. When I was in St. Louis, it seemed that graduating OD's had to really look hard to string together a job or two to find 5 days a weeks.

I moved back to Kansas where I was from. I could have numerous job offers in my state. There are more options in states that do not have a school, and also offer acceptance to medical panels.

The job market in a state with an OD school is very competitive, and brutal. A city with an OD school is even harder to find a solid career job. These are are already super saturated with OD's. When I was in St. Louis, it seemed that graduating OD's had to really look hard to string together a job or two to find 5 days a weeks.

I moved back to Kansas where I was from. I could have numerous job offers in my state. There are more options in states that do not have a school, and also offer acceptance to medical panels.

ah i see, also as logical of an answer this maybe (i have no idea) is it always the case that in super saturated areas with OD schools, its harder to get on medical panels? or is there no correlation?

ah i see, also as logical of an answer this maybe (i have no idea) is it always the case that in super saturated areas with OD schools, its harder to get on medical panels? or is there no correlation?

Every state is different in there regards to medical insurance and acceptance to new OD's to medical panels. My state is a breeze to get on medical panels. Some states you have to be an OMD or work for an OMD to get onto medical panels. Some states you might be able to get on a medical panel if they are credentialing or accepting new doctors (some of the doc's might even be dead but not removed).