Optometry and Video Games

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Interesting, but I agree with the idea that a 6 year old kids might not speak up or be able to recognize that they are having trouble with depth perception. Kind of a silly article, how about we just encourage more children to get eye exams.....
 

The article talks of optometrists' enthusiasm about 3-D video games as a potential means by which one may catch undiagnosed problems with binocularity in children. Fine and well, I suppose (though we should be careful when thinking to throw people in front of even more screens, at even earlier ages), but how about a little advocacy for childhood eye-examinations? We've all seen animated commercials put out by the A.D.A. about the importance of maintaining good oral health in kids (and that's fine), but I don't believe much is said with regard to the importance of juvenile ocular-screening.