Optometry Experience

Started by TommyGuns
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TommyGuns

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi ya'll! I'd just like to start off by saying that this is the coolest place ever! It's a great support network 👍 . I'm currently in my 3rd year at U of Waterloo, and I'm anxiously waiting to find out how I scored on the OAT.

As far as the Optometry experience, I've shadowed my optometrist once, and it was awesome! I don't go home very often, so it was kind of a rare opportunity. Nevertheless, I had so much fun.

I'm currently working at an optometry clinic, but it's mostly administrative work (calling patients to remind them of their appointments, organizing files, verifying health card numbers, etc.). Should I go out and find something more relative to the actual practice itself? Or, is what I'm working with sufficient experience?

Thanks! 🙂
 
TommyGuns said:
Hi ya'll! I'd just like to start off by saying that this is the coolest place ever! It's a great support network 👍 . I'm currently in my 3rd year at U of Waterloo, and I'm anxiously waiting to find out how I scored on the OAT.

As far as the Optometry experience, I've shadowed my optometrist once, and it was awesome! I don't go home very often, so it was kind of a rare opportunity. Nevertheless, I had so much fun.

I'm currently working at an optometry clinic, but it's mostly administrative work (calling patients to remind them of their appointments, organizing files, verifying health card numbers, etc.). Should I go out and find something more relative to the actual practice itself? Or, is what I'm working with sufficient experience?

Thanks! 🙂

I think the fact that you're working in an optometry clinic should expose you enough. I think what the schools are looking for as far as your experience is that you know what you're getting yourself into. I'm not sure what your relationship with the optometrists that work there is, but if its good enough to write a non generic letter on your behalf, you should be set. If your relationship with them isn't that good, you might want to ask to shadow some of them and develop a decent relationship with them.

Good luck!