Optometry future and salary outlook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galaxmart

Reaction score
I am interested in applying to optometry schools this cycle. I am doing research on the career outlook and salary and seem to be getting mixed reviews. I wanted to ask how the future of optometry is looking. Is it still a great field to get into? What is the average salary of an optometrist? I don't want to do another 4 years of schooling and get into additional debt if I won't guarantee to make at least 100k. Would really appreciate additional insight on this field.

Members don't see this ad.

The private practice I work at hires newly graduating ODs at around 130K. We go to career fair regularly for recruitment. This is only in NY tho, I cannot speak for others. The catch is we need ODs who can speak a specific language.

Im in Arizona and many corporate companies hire new grades at ~125k salary.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Corporate: $100-$130K

Poorly run private practice owner: $0-$100K

Busy / successful private practice owner: $200-$500K

Reactions: 1 users
Once your pay off your loans, have your house and cars and financial stability...you'll realize that the money it's the most important thing.

Finding something you enjoy is way more of a reward than the money. The money should be a by product of doing something you enjoy in life. Sadly, most people never get past the sentence that I mentioned and never really fully enjoy their jobs (not talking optos, but just people in society).

1603036822541.png
1603036822541.png

Reactions: 1 user