Aug 12, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I am interested in applying to optometry schools this cycle. I am doing research on the career outlook and salary and seem to be getting mixed reviews. I wanted to ask how the future of optometry is looking. Is it still a great field to get into? What is the average salary of an optometrist? I don't want to do another 4 years of schooling and get into additional debt if I won't guarantee to make at least 100k. Would really appreciate additional insight on this field.

Kevvv

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2018
The private practice I work at hires newly graduating ODs at around 130K. We go to career fair regularly for recruitment. This is only in NY tho, I cannot speak for others. The catch is we need ODs who can speak a specific language.

Jalam

5+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2015
Status
  1. Pre-Optometry
Im in Arizona and many corporate companies hire new grades at ~125k salary.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

percyeye

7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2011
Status
  1. Optometrist
Corporate: $100-$130K

Poorly run private practice owner: $0-$100K

Busy / successful private practice owner: $200-$500K

Reactions: 1 users

ucbsowarrior

15+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2005
Status
Once your pay off your loans, have your house and cars and financial stability...you'll realize that the money it's the most important thing.

Finding something you enjoy is way more of a reward than the money. The money should be a by product of doing something you enjoy in life. Sadly, most people never get past the sentence that I mentioned and never really fully enjoy their jobs (not talking optos, but just people in society).

1603036822541.png 1603036822541.png

Reactions: 1 user

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads