Optometry in Australia?

Started by I-Ball
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I-Ball

OD WANNABE
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know anything about doing optometry school in Australia? I looked into it a little bit but I'm not completely familiar with the Optometry School lingo. how different is this school than the North American schools? I think they're program is 5 years, but that includes some of what we would consider pre-opt. Here's the link, http://www.optometry.unimelb.edu.au/ Any feedback on how good the program seems to be or on how easy it would be to come back to North America would be appreciated. TIA.

I-Ball
 
Humm...not quite sure you can practice as an OD in US with an Australian degree....maybe as an optican...maybe you can do some additional schooling and be an "advanced standing" applicant when you come back

I-Ball said:
Does anyone know anything about doing optometry school in Australia? I looked into it a little bit but I'm not completely familiar with the Optometry School lingo. how different is this school than the North American schools? I think they're program is 5 years, but that includes some of what we would consider pre-opt. Here's the link, http://www.optometry.unimelb.edu.au/ Any feedback on how good the program seems to be or on how easy it would be to come back to North America would be appreciated. TIA.

I-Ball
 
I-Ball said:
Does anyone know anything about doing optometry school in Australia? ....Any feedback on how good the program seems to be or on how easy it would be to come back to North America would be appreciated. TIA.

I-Ball

I believe the programs in Australia and in the US are different enough that you cannot practice with just the Australian degree. You may be able to get advanced standing or get credit for some of the courses, but you would have to attend a US optometry school in order to get a license in the US.

Optometry in the US has certain therapeutic privileges which is just only beginning in Australia.

Alternatively, a US degree holder would first be required to meet the immigration requirements before they can even sit for the examination. You will have to sit for an examination although the educational requirements may be overlapping to some degree,

IMHO of course,
 
if one is an overseas graduate of optometry and wish to practice in australia, how does it go?
what is the exam called?
pardon me for my questions if they sound stupid