• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

Optgal96

2+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
I was looking at the average salary for optometrists in different areas and came across Brooklyn, NY averaging at 280,000 a year! And for those with experiences between only 1-2 years! I'm not sure if that was a typo or what buuut do NYC optometrists actually make a lot of money?

On a side note ...

I had always envisioned (pun not intended) myself working outside of the state of NY because of the weird regulations they've got going there. NY strips away some of the power that makes an optometrist a primary care doctor. So my question to optometrists working in NY-- what are the benefits of working in the state of NY? What makes you want to stay?

Thank you! And I hope you're all staying safe :)

Ryan_eyeball

15+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2005
Kansas
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
I think this pandemic will start to see a slight net migration from highly densely populated areas.

About the Ads
Nov 16, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
To be honest 280K as an average in Brooklyn, NY seems very inaccurate. I would say only a very select few of highly successful practice owners in an area like Brooklyn can pull that much.

7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
To be honest 280K as an average in Brooklyn, NY seems very inaccurate. I would say only a very select few of highly successful practice owners in an area like Brooklyn can pull that much.
Claiming it's a select few is underselling it. But no, that obviously isn't the average.

7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
I'm thinking of working in NY. What kind of weird regulations do they have?
Oral meds is currently not allowed, but a bill is on the books and it might pass this year.

Glaucoma treatment is allowed. Between immigrant populations and OD friendly medical panels, it's easier to practice wide scope optometry than it would appear by comparing state laws.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.