Optometry in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scalded

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is the optometry job field in Canada? I'm specifically interested in BC. I live in the US right now and I'm sure it's a large drop in income, but I'd love to live up there when I graduate.

Members don't see this ad.

Stating that you are interested in practicing in BC isn't really being specific at all. Do you want to practice in Vancouver? Victoria? Prince Rupert? Interior?

Well getting an Optometry job isnt going to be a problem no matter if you are in Vancouver, Victoria, or up north. The difference is going to be income. You probably won't make as much in Vancouver as you would up north (not 100% on this) but the COST OF LIVING in Vancouver is HUGEEEE. Now a days a decent house will run you around 500 000$ where if you go up north you can get a kick ass house for 250 000$ I know cause im from up north.

Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask of ALL the province, why would you go to BC?

And why do you want to leave the united states to come to canada. You will for one make less money and more importantly GET TAXED UP THE ASS. The Canadian government loves to tax the **** out of people and then show nothing for it except for giving pay raises to themselves. And don't say you wanna come here for the free health care because it isn't free, its hard working people who get taxed up the ass that have to pay for people who are constantly going to hospitals (not being rude)

But u gotta admit Vancouver is a GRREEAAAT place!! =P.. I live there for 15 yrs and like it a lot!

Katalio said:
But u gotta admit Vancouver is a GRREEAAAT place!! =P.. I live there for 15 yrs and like it a lot!

Both my cousins moved over there for work. It is a great place.. If you like rain! I'd eventually like to end up there too, but doubtfully right when I graduate.

Katalio said:

Oh Yea I totally agree I live in Richmond and I absolutely love it here. Although pricy its a very quiet, chilling area to live and as far as Vancouver goes all I have to say is GO CANUCKS GO!!!! WE beat Ottawa 3-2 in shoot out last night :laugh:

Katalio said:

Oh Yea I totally agree I live in Richmond and I absolutely love it here. Although pricy its a very quiet, chilling area to live and as far as Vancouver goes all I have to say is GO CANUCKS GO!!!! WE beat Ottawa 3-2 in shoot out last night :laugh:

Katalio said:
May I ask of ALL the province, why would you go to BC?

I like the northwest climate :) I grew up in Oregon.

SomeGuy said:
Stating that you are interested in practicing in BC isn't really being specific at all. Do you want to practice in Vancouver? Victoria? Prince Rupert? Interior?

I'm not sure. it was more of a general question. I've only been to Victoria and Vancouver (and one trip to do the bowron lake circuit).