Optometry in East Tennessee

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohiostateboy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few questions for ya'll. After graduation (2009) I plan to relocate in the Knoxville, TN area. I know that TN has a great scope of practice. However, more importantly (right, KHE, :D)...

1. How difficult is it to get on the medical insurance panels in East Tennessee (specifically Knoxville)?

2. What are the big medical providers in this area (CIGNA, Aetna, BCBS, UHC, etc)?

3. If anyone knows of any opportunities of a private-practice doc looking for an associate, buy-in, retirement, please let me know.

Your answers and time are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Relocated to Knox, TN 2 years ago. I am from TN but spent the past 20+ years in the Air Force practicing. You would be hard pressed to find an area anywhere more saturated with OD's than Knoxville, TN (TN in general for that matter). Unless you are joing Mom or Dad in practice it seems ALL (even residency trained OD's in path) enter the corporate world. Reality is that there are not private practice opportunities available; why, because it is an area where most patients go to Ophthalmologists or the local Wally World for a quick refraction. I joined a group of MD's with OD's and enjoy the work environment. I am on all medical panels, over 50. Approx 20% do not let OD's on their panel of providers. Nice place to live with the mountains next door but you gonna have to bleed orange and give up any ties to buckeye football...GO VOLS!!

A few questions for ya'll. After graduation (2009) I plan to relocate in the Knoxville, TN area. I know that TN has a great scope of practice. However, more importantly (right, KHE, :D)...

1. How difficult is it to get on the medical insurance panels in East Tennessee (specifically Knoxville)?

2. What are the big medical providers in this area (CIGNA, Aetna, BCBS, UHC, etc)?

3. If anyone knows of any opportunities of a private-practice doc looking for an associate, buy-in, retirement, please let me know.

Your answers and time are appreciated.