Optometry in MA

Started by Breezy23
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Breezy23

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I am currently going into my senior year of undergrad and am just about done with my optometry school application (taking the OATs Saturday). I have been reading on the optometry and pre-opt forums that the optometry market is saturated and new grads have a hard time finding good jobs. Does anyone know how saturated the market is in MA compared to other states? I currently work in two optometry offices and my both of the optometrists I work for have successful private practices that have been established for 30+ years, so I'm not sure they are the best judge of the new grad experience in MA. I am applying to NECO and MCPHS and expect to be taking out about $160k in loans, so I really want to make sure optometry school is a financially responsible decision before I go for it. Money is most definitely not one of my main reasons for pursuing optometry but I need to be able to pay off my loans. I appreciate any insight, thanks!