• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Optometry International in USA

ODgirl18

Aug 23, 2015
  1. Optometry Student
Hello! I'm an Optometry Graduate from the prestigious (or the best school) for optometry in my country. Next month, I will settle down in US with family and also I have some relatives in medical field working and have been settling in US. The optometry course in our country offers a six year degree ( 2 years pre-optometry and 4 years of Optometry Proper). My school recently a certified international affiliate member of the ASCO. I want to know if I have to study optometry in US since I am considered as an international applicant OR it will be a straight way to take State board exam for optometry?? This decision makes me confuse all the time. Hoping for some reply and information, it would be a great help. Thank you !:)

About the Ads

deahna

Oct 28, 2015
  1. Optometry Student
I'm a foreign optometrist but I'm on my way to take the Nbeo exam with help the California board of Optometry, so first things to do is contact this board no matter where you are located in the USA

About the Ads

Optodoc0711

Aug 10, 2018
I am from Centro Escolar University in the Philippines. I finished my 6 year degree program few years ago and I’m planning to be licensed in the united states. I just want to know if there are other ways (like sponsorship from a certain state) that I can do instead of enrolling to the advanced standing program in the USA.

Optodoc0711

Aug 10, 2018
I would love more info on this too; apparently, California no longer offers state sponsorship. Are there any other states who sponsor foreign grads to write the NBEO?

Hi. Did you get any information or answer regarding your question? We are on the same boat, I think it's best if we communicate regarding this matter. I'm also contacting different state boards as of the moment. :)

happyOD

Mar 10, 2018
  1. Optometry Student
Hello! I'm an Optometry Graduate from the prestigious (or the best school) for optometry in my country. Next month, I will settle down in US with family and also I have some relatives in medical field working and have been settling in US. The optometry course in our country offers a six year degree ( 2 years pre-optometry and 4 years of Optometry Proper). My school recently a certified international affiliate member of the ASCO. I want to know if I have to study optometry in US since I am considered as an international applicant OR it will be a straight way to take State board exam for optometry?? This decision makes me confuse all the time. Hoping for some reply and information, it would be a great help. Thank you !:)
when I took my part III, two ODs from other countries were sponsored to take NBEO part III.

Dr. Prom

Aug 25, 2020
  1. Optometry Student

hello, currently in a similar situation and i just noticed this post was shared 5 years back, how did you go about it, please share.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.