Optometry is ranked #22 on America's Best Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

That is awesome! Although, they have registered nurses as making 68,000... my mother is a nurse (for 23 years) and still doesn't make anywhere near that, so I am unsure as to how accurate the salaries are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a month or so ago, optometry was ranked #2 in US News and World Reports as best carriers. I all depends on how they rank stuff, but it does show that optometry is consistently a good carrier.

rpames said:
Just a month or so ago, optometry was ranked #2 in US News and World Reports as best carriers. I all depends on how they rank stuff, but it does show that optometry is consistently a good carrier.

Not picking on you or anything but it took me a few times to read what you wrote... do you mean career?

PreOptMegs said:
That is awesome! Although, they have registered nurses as making 68,000... my mother is a nurse (for 23 years) and still doesn't make anywhere near that, so I am unsure as to how accurate the salaries are.

I would suspect that those numbers are fairly accurate. Lots of new docs get paid well going commercial, lots of older docs do well because of established patient base and business practices.

:eek: There is no way a sales manager makes $135k a year. Unless they sell illegal arms or imported Colombian Cocaine.

Sure they can. A sales manager for many fortune 500 companies can earn that and even more depending on experience and location.

bravotwozero said:
:eek: There is no way a sales manager makes $135k a year. Unless they sell illegal arms or imported Colombian Cocaine.

idoc2b said:
Sure they can. A sales manager for many fortune 500 companies can earn that and even more depending on experience and location.

I think that's sad.. and unfair! But they do hard work, and have to deal with frustrating people. If that was on the list, it should probably be taken off. Sales managers never seem to be very happy.

Has anyone checked this Link out?

Top 100 paying jobs

(#13) Those still look like good numbers to me :)

These lists always irk me. I mean each person has their own individual criteria about what they consider a 'top job.' What I consider fun and rewarding, could leave you bored and fustrated. To each his own.

jc812 said:
I think that's sad.. and unfair! But they do hard work, and have to deal with frustrating people. If that was on the list, it should probably be taken off.

Sales managers never seem to be very happy.
?
I've seen plenty of happy, intelligent people in sales/management... I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

bravotwozero said:

Do you even need a four-year degree to be a sales manager? That salary seems excessively high for that type of work.

ProZackMI said:
Chiros were that high up? The salaries seem skewed. Dentists make more than 122K and most vets don't make 79K. Wow.

one of the vets in my area works 3 days/week at a bank as a teller, PRN at their office treating animals and going out to farms to treat livestock. as much as ODs complain, i guess it could get much worse. i also know of chiro offices going out of business. and, i know very few dentists who arent taking home almost $200K on a 4 or 5 day workweek.

drgregory said:
one of the vets in my area works 3 days/week at a bank as a teller, PRN at their office treating animals and going out to farms to treat livestock. as much as ODs complain, i guess it could get much worse. i also know of chiro offices going out of business. and, i know very few dentists who arent taking home almost $200K on a 4 or 5 day workweek.

I agree, drgregory; it seems skewed to me. I've known some vets to do quite well, whereas others, for all their education, who rake in about 30-50K, if that. It seems ODs and PharmDs do quite well financially and it seems that both professions are ranked quite high in job satisfaction and respect, so that should speak volumes. I wonder how much ODs make in academia? I know med and law school faculty make good money due to competing with the private sector, but is this true in optometry?

Sales managers can make a ton. It all depends. The lesson to learn from that one, is going through all this school isn't the easiest way to get rich necessarily.

DCs make a ton. I don't know any DVMs that make 78k.

there are WAY better ways in the world than optometry to make 100K a YEAR....

I can tell you the averge OD salary in my company right out of school is about 85-90, + bonus..

im suprised that optometrists make about the same amount as pharmacists