-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Optometry Professor
Started by OATkilla
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Most will go on to get a Masters in Education, a few PhD.
Clinical instructors don't really need an additional degree.
I think at most schools, virtually all didactic instructors have PhDs and just about every advertisement I've seen for clinical faculty requires the completion of a "residency or comparable experience."
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think at most schools, virtually all didactic instructors have PhDs and just about every advertisement I've seen for clinical faculty requires the completion of a "residency or comparable experience."
Does that mean that OD's can teach who have completed a residency? (which is most isnt it?) or do they have to be OD/PHD's or just PHDs in Vision Science or such?
at ICO the basic science faculty are all phd's, some of them are optometrists, some not. On the clinical didactic side its split about half and half, all are OD's about half with phd. Clinical faculty in the clinics generally are residency trained ODs.
Pacific University
http://www.pacificu.edu/optometry/faculty/index.cfm
Two OD/PhDs (including J. Sheedy).
Professor of Optometry to about 10 folks with OD or OD/MS as the highest research degree earned (HRDE).
Pacific has three OD/PhDs (including Sheedy 😀)
What about the new schools opening up ?
Good question.
Western U (so far)
http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/optometry/faculty.xml
You can count the faculty on one hand.
2 PhDs, 3 ODs.
UIW
Can't even find their optometry page:
http://www.uiw.edu/admissions/programs.html
Midwestern
https://online.midwestern.edu/publi...aff=OP&fac_staff=F&btn_main_search=1&search=0
4 faculty so far.
1 OD/PhD
Good question.
Western U (so far)
http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/optometry/faculty.xml
You can count the faculty on one hand.
2 PhDs, 3 ODs.
UIW
Can't even find their optometry page:
http://www.uiw.edu/admissions/programs.html
Midwestern
https://online.midwestern.edu/publi...aff=OP&fac_staff=F&btn_main_search=1&search=0
4 faculty so far.
1 OD/PhD
It's funny how people are going to be literally throwing away money by attending new schools. They don't even have a full faculty yet!
It's funny how people are going to be literally throwing away money by attending new schools. They don't even have a full faculty yet!
What optometry school do you go to?
What optometry school do you go to?
Check out my status. It's pretty clear.
It's funny how people are going to be literally throwing away money by attending new schools. They don't even have a full faculty yet!
lol. the real question is what happens when there are construction delays on the clinic...dum dum dum
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Check out my status. It's pretty clear.
The one that says you are a member for 2+ years or senior member? Congrats.
If you are not in OD school or not planning to go, why are you here?
Last edited:
My contribution. I got curious...
SCO-
6 OD/Phd's on faculty
Most others have a MS or a residency.
http://www.sco.edu/faculty/Pages/default.aspx
lol. the real question is what happens when there are construction delays on the clinic...dum dum dum
Okay? You are telling me some of the new schools do not have a clinic ?
The one that says you are a member for 2+ years or senior member? Congrats.
If you are not in OD school or not planning to go, why are you here?
because i have nothing better to do.
Okay? You are telling me some of the new schools do not have a clinic ?
It is my understanding that Midwestern's clinic is set for completion in 2010... just bringing up the inevitable what ifs of construction delays.
It is my understanding that Midwestern's clinic is set for completion in 2010... just bringing up the inevitable what ifs of construction delays.
Western doesn't have one built yet either.
Western doesn't have one built yet either.
http://www.westernu.edu/construction_site/index.html
Click on the Patient Care Center Tab.
Construction of the 80,000-square-foot, three-story Patient Care Center (PCC), began in 2008 in preparation for its opening in early 2010. The PCC will house a pharmacy, optometry clinic (including vision therapy and optical dispensing areas), outpatient clinics in osteopathic and podiatric medicine, and an outpatient dental clinic. All clinical areas will be open to the public, will be staffed by Western University faculty and staff, and will provide outpatient care and professional student learning rotations.
http://www.westernu.edu/construction_site/index.html
Click on the Patient Care Center Tab.
Construction of the 80,000-square-foot, three-story Patient Care Center (PCC), began in 2008 in preparation for its opening in early 2010. The PCC will house a pharmacy, optometry clinic (including vision therapy and optical dispensing areas), outpatient clinics in osteopathic and podiatric medicine, and an outpatient dental clinic. All clinical areas will be open to the public, will be staffed by Western University faculty and staff, and will provide outpatient care and professional student learning rotations.
Like I said, Western doesn't have their clinic built yet either. In progress isn't the same as built.
Like I said, Western doesn't have their clinic built yet either. In progress isn't the same as built.
I know. I was just adding to the convo. I didn't say it was built. Their proposed date is early 2010, but when I went in for admissions interview I was told they are 5 months behind the scheduled date.
I know. I was just adding to the convo. I didn't say it was built. Their proposed date is early 2010, but when I went in for admissions interview I was told they are 5 months behind the scheduled date.
Oh lord, already 5 months behind? Shocker! 😛
Oh lord, already 5 months behind? Shocker! 😛
Seriously. By the time those students are due to do their clinic rotations they're still not going to have a clinic!
Out of curiosity, has anyone seen or heard of an undergraduate professor with an O.D. or O.D./PhD?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 331
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 333
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K