optometry residency.

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optonerd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

i am strongly considering an optometry residency, either in ocular disease or primary care
but my gpa is low (2.88) and i passed boards but didn't do much higher than the cutoff score for part 1.
I have a decent amount of volunteer experience, i was a TA for a class and i participated in a few clubs.
I was just wondering what are my real chances of getting a residency? Should I even bother?
I really wanted to pursue one because i was considering academia or IHS down the road and I know you need a residency for those position.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure how it is now but in the past, many IHS residencies went unfilled, particularly those in remote locations. If you're willing to go into the wilderness for a year, I think your chances are reasonably good. Try to do better on Part II.

Reactions: 1 user
Everywhere has different philosophies. Some like great academic scores while others prefer stronger clinical skills and thinking, with the obvious advantage is having both.
Apply for residency. Wow them at the interview. Give it your best shot or else you will never know what will happen. Good luck.

Hi guys,

i am strongly considering an optometry residency, either in ocular disease or primary care
but my gpa is low (2.88) and i passed boards but didn't do much higher than the cutoff score for part 1.
I have a decent amount of volunteer experience, i was a TA for a class and i participated in a few clubs.
I was just wondering what are my real chances of getting a residency? Should I even bother?
I really wanted to pursue one because i was considering academia or IHS down the road and I know you need a residency for those position.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Optometry residencies are reasonably competitive, given there are two-hundred–plus slots, and (as I recount) close to two thousand graduates each year. So, yes, G.P.A. matters, as do N.B.E.O. scores and extracurricular activities. To get your foot in the door, understand the strengths and the weaknesses of your application, and accentuate the former while taking responsibility for the latter.

Good luck.