Optometry Residency

Started by bcm1545
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bcm1545

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello. I am currently applying to optometry schools. I want to be an optometrist, but I really want to work in a medical setting and help people in other ways than giving them glasses. Would enrolling in a residency program after graduation allow me to do this? Is the chance of getting a job better if this is done? Thanks!
 
Hello. I am currently applying to optometry schools. I want to be an optometrist, but I really want to work in a medical setting and help people in other ways than giving them glasses. Would enrolling in a residency program after graduation allow me to do this? Is the chance of getting a job better if this is done? Thanks!

Although optometric scope of practice has grown in recent years and ODs are dealing with more disease than they have in the past, >80% of what ODs do involve correction and/or enhancement of vision and the method for that is still primarily specatcles and contact lenses.

If you want to do mostly the "other stuff" you should be applying to medical school and seeking out an ophthalmology residency.