Optometry School GPA policies

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eloc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that Optomcas calculates the GPA for you, but do the Optometry schools have their own way of calculating GPA's once they have received the applications?

Members don't see this ad.

This should be under pre-optometry, I believe.

Optomcas does have it's own specific method for gpa calculation; however the individual schools do not all use this method. For example, I applied to ICO and had to manually submit to them a pre-req. and gpa calculation sheet that was separate (and slightly differently calculated) from optomcas (hence they have their own gpa calculating system); I can also say that I did not have to do this for either Salus or SUNY. I'd definitely call the admissions offices of schools for any specific questions you might have pertaining to your application.

Edit: SUNY now requires manual pre-req. and gpa calculation; this does not affect those who submitted their SUNY supplemental before this was added.

Last edited:
This should be under pre-optometry, I believe.

Optomcas does have it's own specific method for gpa calculation; however the individual schools do not all use this method. For example, I applied to ICO and had to manually submit to them a pre-req. and gpa calculation sheet that was separate (and slightly differently calculated) from optomcas (hence they have their own gpa calculating system); I can also say that I did not have to do this for either Salus or SUNY. I'd definitely call the admissions offices of schools for any specific questions you might have pertaining to your application.

SUNY does have a supplemental that requires manual calculation of gpa.

http://www.sunyopt.edu/application/index.php

Great catch 74ponderosa! I just called SUNY Admissions to clarify what had happened. Apparently, they have added a section to the supplemental application that requires you to now manually submit pre-req. information and gpa calculations; when I submitted my supplemental app. for them a few weeks ago, this was not a part of it. I was told by their admissions staff that, for those of us who submitted the supplemental before this was added, we do not need to re-submit, in case anyone else was wondering. But again, thanks for the info! :thumbup: It looks like all future supplementals for SUNY will require this now.