optometry school to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmec429

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has there ever been a case where one has completed optometry school and wished to practice surgery as an ophthalmologist? Would there be some kind of short cut for people in that situation?

Members don't see this ad.

nope,

pretty sure you have to start fresh.

ie; taking the MCATs, getting a new set of recommendation letters, and may need to get "experience" in the field in order to be a viable candidate.

BTW, in order to be an OMD, you have to complete the 4 years of medical school and then do about 3-5 years of specialty training..it's a long road, so hats off to OMDs (granted many do not feel the same towards Optometrists!).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have read posts from one OD on SDN who practices Optometry but decided to go to Medical school and pursue OMD.
Seems pretty extreme to me... just from a financial perspective, let alone the amount of years in training it would take to be OD/OMD.
In the words of that great thinker Allen Iverson " For who ? For what ? "
To my knowledge there is no shorter path if you have an OD,
perhaps ( perhaps not ) having an OD may be beneficial applying to Medical school and may help getting you matched for OMD after completin of MD.

Last edited:
Like the previous poster mentioned...there are NO short cuts.

Last edited: