Optometry schools in CA

Started by nacho
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nacho

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I'm currently considering applying to optometry schools, but I found out there are only 16 in the US. Can someone tell me which school is the best in California? Thank you!
 
there are only two in CA: SCCO in Fullerton and UC-Berkeley. Reputation wise Berkeley is known as the better school, although you'd get a great education at either.
 
cpw said:
there are only two in CA: SCCO in Fullerton and UC-Berkeley. Reputation wise Berkeley is known as the better school, although you'd get a great education at either.

CPW is exactly right. They are both good schools. What you should be looking at is which school is best for you. I actually used to live just near Fullerton, but I ended up going to Berkeley. It's a matter of personal preferences.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't forget about the other West coast school, Pacific University, near Portland, OR. I'm a native CA and was accepted at both Berkeley and SCCO. I wanted to check out another area of the country and I'm glad I decided to make the move northward. From what I've experienced/heard, Pacific will give you the same rigorous education but has a much more laid back "personality".